Resources for supporting your family as a graduate student
Spouses and families of graduate students are eligible to receive a spouse or family ID. Visit Public Safety to get yours! These IDs will allow access to Chrouser Sports Center, Buswell Library, and the Corinthian Co-Op.
The Corinthian Co-op is a free store for college students, staff and families with coats, clothes, and small household items. It is located at 818 College Ave. Students and spouses must sign in with the student's ID number. Check their website for hours of operation. The Co-Op periodically sponsors a children's clothing shopping event at the Chrouser Sports Center.
- Families can go to the Chrouser Sports Complex and enjoy the rock climbing wall, swimming pool (check the calendar for open swim hours), and basketball courts. Call 752-5743 for the early morning laps schedule and swim lessons for kids.
- The Wheaton Observatory is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, including a research grade 24-inch Planewave telescope. Several smaller telescopes on the observatory deck are available for visitors to peek through during the academic year.
- The Meyer Science Center has several exhibits that are family friendly, including the interactive atrium museum featuring the Perry Mastodon, a natural science exhibit hall, and a Foucault pendulum.
- Families can enjoy Lower Beamer for all that it has to offer! Check out the Stupe for grill-style food, Sam's for ice cream and smoothies, and the game room for ping-pong, pool, and more.
The Wheaton area has many education options for families to consider! We compiled just a few (by no means a comprehensive list!) to help get you started in your search for the best fit for your family.
- Public options: Wheaton School District 200
- Private options: Clapham School, Wheaton Christian Grammar School, and Wheaton Academy
- DuPage County also hosts a variety of Montessori schools. A couple of local options are Wheaton Montessori and DuPage Montessori School
- Resources for homeschooling families: Greenhouse , The Learning Vine, and Stream Tutoring
Visit the DuPage County Health Department website to find out about their Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program. WIC is a food assistance program for Women, Infants, and Children. It helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well and stay healthy.
- Visit Wheaton's iconic Little Popcorn Store for popcorn, candy or other tasty treats!
- The DuPage County Children's Museum is a wonderful place for younger children to explore, play and learn.
- Located just a mile from campus, Cosley Zoo hosts a variety of farm animals and native Illinois wildlife.
- Check out the Wheaton Public Library for its lovely children's section and programs.
Visit our Recreation page to see more ideas!