Applying to the Wheaton College Graduate School
Learn more about the admission requirements and application deadlines for the M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling at the Wheaton College Graduate School.
Application Deadline Information
Priority Application: Complete your application by November 1st to schedule an interview between November 7th and 21st and to receive an admissions decision by January 31st.
Regular Application: Complete your application by March 1st.
Requirements for All Students
The M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program operates on a cohort model, with cohorts beginning in Fall Semesters only. The M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program considers individual and group interviews and the qualifications and qualities of the entire applicant pool when making final admissions decisions. Applicants must submit complete applications by the March 1st deadline.
- Bachelor's Degree from a Regionally Accredited Institution.
- GPA 3.0 minimum.
- The GRE General Test is no longer required.
- Official transcripts from all colleges where a degree was earned or is currently being earned.
- E-transcripts preferred. Address them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail hard copies to Graduate Admissions Dept., Attn: Nancy Crane, 501 College Av., Wheaton, IL 60187.
- Application Form - Online.
- Four Recommendations, which are online forms. Letters accepted as supplements to the forms.
- Academic. Should be an instructor from whom you have taken a class.
- Pastoral. Can be a Christian leader who is not a pastor.
- Professional. Should be a person with whom you have had a supervisor-employee relationship, which can be in a non-paid context.
- Mental Health Professional. Should be a licensed, mental-health practitioner or a psychology professor.
- Resumé - Chronological.
- Interview with a CMHC Faculty Member. We hope to use the interview to get to know students better and to give them an opportunity to get to know our program better. Please complete your application form by the deadline prior to scheduling the interview.
Schedule your interview that will be conducted via Zoom.
Additional Requirements for International Students
International students, and permanent residents of the US whose native language is not English, are required to take either the TOEFL iBT Test, IELTS Academic Test or Duolingo English test with the minimal scores indicated below:
- TOEFL iBT Test: 80 with at least 18 in each category
- IELTS Academic Test: 6.5 with at least 6.0 in each category
- Duolingo English Test: 105
Applicants who wish to waive their English proficiency test, please refer to the English proficiency page for details.
An International Transcript Verification Report is needed for students who completed degrees outside of the United States.
Learn more about the program and the School of Psychology, Counseling, and Family Therapy.