New Tech for Christmas?
While unwrapping a new gadget is great, remember these tips to get the most out of your device and your Wheaton experience:
- Wheaton College’s Microsoft Office 365 subscription allows you to install and use programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. You can use this subscription to activate Office 365 on up to five devices, so there's no need to buy a subscription with a new device.
- Set a PIN or password on all your devices and keep your personal information and important data private. You should also invest in an antivirus program or app.
- Don't leave electronics in a vehicle overnight. Not only is this an invitation to thieves, but extreme cold can cause condensation to form on the delicate electronics inside your new phone, camera, or laptop.
- When you return to campus, register your new device to the network here. Devices such as wireless printers, Chromecasts, or other devices with Wi-Fi hotspots can degrade the wireless network in your campus housing if connected incorrectly.
- If you have a new cell phone number, be sure to update your emergency contact information. This will help Public Safety to contact you in the event of dangerous situations such as tornadoes or flooding.
If you have questions about any of these tips, contact Academic and Institutional Technology at 630.752.4357 (HELP) or by email at email@example.com.