Applying to the Wheaton College Graduate School
Learn more about the admission requirements and application deadlines for the M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy at the Wheaton College Graduate School.
Application Deadline Information
Fall Entry Only.
Priority Application: Complete your application by November 1st to schedule an interview between November 7th and 21st and to receive an admissions decision by January 31st.
Regular Application: Complete your application by March 1st to schedule an interview between March 8th and 15th and receive an admissions decision by April 1st.
Requirements for All Applicants
The M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy program is a full-time, two-year, residential program that operates on a cohort model and starts in Fall semester only. The MFT program considers individual and group interviews and the qualifications and qualities of the entire applicant pool when making final admissions decisions. Applications are reviewed holistically. All application materials and the interview are due by the application deadline.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- GPA 3.0 minimum.
- Official transcripts from all colleges where a degree was earned or is currently being earned.
- Applicants will be required to provide official transcripts from each institution where they have received or will receive a degree prior to enrollment in Wheaton College Graduate School. Applicants who have earned more than 25% of their degree from institutions outside of their degree conferring school will be required to supply official transcripts for those credits in the event they are not explicitly listed on their original transcript with course names and grades. Graduate Admissions will reserve the right to request additional transcripts as may be needed to meet departmental requirements or demonstrate proof of program-specific prerequisites.
- E-transcripts preferred. Must be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail hard copies to Graduate Admissions, Attn: Nancy Crane, 501 College Ave., Wheaton, IL 60187.
- Application Form.
- Four Recommendations, which are online forms. Letters accepted as supplements to the forms.
- Academic. A professor from whom you have taken a class preferred. Alternatives: a college-level instructor from whom you have not taken a class or an acquaintance with a doctorate or master's.
- Pastoral. Can be a Christian leader who is not a pastor.
- Professional. A person with whom you have had a supervisor-employee relationship, which can be in a non-paid context.
- Mental Health Professional. Should be a licensed mental-health practitioner or a psychology professor.
Recommendations from relatives not accepted.
For help choosing recommenders, preview the questions in the forms at the bottom of this page.
- Resumé. Chronological.
- Interview with an MFT faculty member. This interview is to determine the goodness-of-fit of the applicant to the MFT program regarding their personal and professional goals.
- NOTE: The application form and all supplemental items must be submitted before scheduling an interview, and the interview must be completed by the application deadline.
- Schedule your interview.
- Application Fee. USD $30, non-refundable.
Additional Requirements for International Students
International students, and permanent residents of the US whose native language is not English, are required to take either the Duolingo English test with the minimal scores indicated below:or
- TOEFL iBT Test: 100 with at least 20 in each category
- IELTS Academic Test: 7.0 with at least 6.5 in each category
- Duolingo English Test: 120
Applicants who wish to waive their English proficiency test, please refer to the English proficiency page for details.
An International Transcript Verification Report is needed for students who completed degrees outside of the United States.
Please review Graduate International Admissions for full information.
Learn more about the program and the School of Psychology, Counseling, and Family Therapy.