Applying to the Wheaton College Graduate School
Learn more about the admission requirements and application deadlines for the M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy at the Wheaton College Graduate School.
Application Deadline Information
Fall Entry Only.
Priority Deadline: November 1, 2022. All application materials are due by November 1 in order to be considered for an interview. Interviews are by invitation only and will be conducted virtually in November 2022.
Regular Deadline: February 1, 2023. All application materials due by February 1 in order to be considered for an interview. Interviews are by invitation only, and will be conducted virtually during the month of February 2023.
Requirements for All Applicants
The M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy program is a full-time, two-year, residential program that operates on a cohort model and starts in Fall semester only. Applications are reviewed holistically. All application materials are due by the application deadline in order to be considered for an interview.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- GPA 3.0 minimum.
- Official transcripts from all colleges where a degree was earned or is currently being earned.
- Applicants will be required to provide official transcripts from each institution where they have received or will receive a degree prior to enrollment in Wheaton College Graduate School. Applicants who have earned more than 25% of their degree from institutions outside of their degree-conferring school will be required to supply official transcripts for those credits in the event they are not explicitly listed on their original transcript with course names and grades. Graduate Admissions will reserve the right to request additional transcripts as may be needed to meet departmental requirements or demonstrate proof of program-specific prerequisites.
- E-transcripts preferred. Must be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail hard copies to Graduate Admissions, Attn: Nancy Crane, 501 College Ave., Wheaton, IL 60187.
- Application Form. Online.
- Four essays.
- Affirmations of the Statement of Faith and Community Covenant.
- Four Recommendations, which are online forms. Letters accepted as supplements to the forms.
- Academic. A professor from whom you have taken a class preferred. Alternatives: a college-level instructor from whom you have not taken a class or an acquaintance with a doctorate or master's.
- Pastoral. Can be a Christian leader who is not a pastor.
- Professional. A person with whom you have had a supervisor-employee relationship, which can be in a non-paid context.
- Mental Health Professional. Should be a licensed mental-health practitioner or a psychology professor.
- Recommendations from relatives not accepted.
- For help choosing recommenders, preview the questions in the forms at the bottom of the Wheaton College Graduate School Admissions page.
- Resumé. Chronological.
- Interview by invitation. We hope to use the interview to get to know students better and to give them an opportunity to get to know our program better.
- Interviews for applications submitted by November 1, 2022, will be conducted virtually in November. Admissions decisions will be sent on December 17, 2022.
- Interviews for applications submitted by February 1, 2023, will be on Interview Day on campus in February. Virtual interviews will be available in February when necessary. Admissions decisions will be sent on March 17, 2023.
NOTE: All application materials must be submitted by the deadline in order to be considered for an interview.
- Application Fee. USD $30, non-refundable.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- International students, and permanent residents of the US whose native language is not English, are required to take either the TOEFL iBT Test, IELTS Academic Test or Duolingo English test with the minimal scores indicated below:
- TOEFL iBT Test: 80 with at least 18 in each category
- IELTS Academic Test: 6.5 with at least 6.0 in each category
- Duolingo English Test: 105
- Applicants who wish to waive their English proficiency test, please refer to the English proficiency page for details.
- An International Transcript Verification Report is needed for students who completed degrees outside of the United States.
- All application materials are due by the application deadline in order to be considered for an interview.
- Deadline for International Students: January 1, 2023
- Interview by Invitation
- After review of applications, International Students will be invited by the program for virtual interviews in early January 2023. Admissions decisions will be sent out in January 2023.
Learn more about the program and the School of Psychology, Counseling, and Family Therapy.