Posted November 14, 2018 by Academic and Institutional Technology
Work on Box Documents Offline
Effective Date: November 15, 2018
On October 31st, Box released the Mark for Offline feature in Box Drive. Wheaton College is now rolling out this new feature to all Box Drive users. This feature allows users to access their work even without network connectivity. (For Box Sync users there is no applicable change here.)
Key Benefits and Features
- Ability to access work without network connectivity
- Users can select the documents they want to work with offline and Box Drive will automatically download the latest version to their desktop. Once they are back online, Box Drive will automatically upload their changes back to Box, ensuring users and collaborators are always working with the most up-to-date versions of their files.
- Please see this Box article for further information about this update.
Impact on College Community
There will be no changes to your Box Drive experience, other than this added ability to work offline when desired. Users may need to sign out/sign back in or restart their computer before the feature will appear as an option. Once it appears you can follow these simple steps to make content available offline: (Same Process on Windows and Mac):
- Navigate to your Box folder in Explorer or Finder.
- Right-click on the folder you want.
- In the context menu that displays, click Make Available Offline.
- Only folders to which you have download permission can be made available offline. Also, you cannot make individual files available offline.
- If you change your mind about a folder that you have marked for offline use repeat this process and select Make Available Online Only
If you are not currently using Box Drive and would like to have it set up, please contact the AIT Service Desk.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Academic and Institutional Technology at 630.752.4357 (HELP) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.