Pronunciation Course Overview
Teaching pronunciation is extremely challenging. Without specific training, it is difficult to know how to correct learners for improved fluency and comprehensibility of speech. In this 30-hour non-credit course, participants will gain the skills necessary to diagnose errors and assist learners in improving their listening and production of the various elements of English pronunciation.
Essentials of Teaching English Pronunciation will be offered June 14-18, 2021.
Note: Due to COVID-19, Summer 2021 1-week intensives will be ONLINE ONLY via Zoom.
- Gain a foundational understanding of the English pronunciation system, including sounds (consonants and vowels), rhythm and stress, natural speech phenomena
- Identify typical learner errors
- Practice completing a error analysis
- Understand the basics writing a pronunciation drill
- Practice conducting pronunciation drills
- Develop a tutoring / teaching plan for 3-4 pronunciation lessons
- Adapt materials to use in a pronunciation lesson
- Locate & evaluate pronunciation teaching resources
No, you can take this course even if you haven’t taken ROWE since this course focuses specifically on teaching English pronunciation.
Participants are awarded a 30-hour non-credit certificate upon course completion. A letter that lists the types of content covered in the course is also provided.
Yes, there are!—We understand that sometimes it’s not possible to participate in person. You might live overseas or your life responsibilities or family situation may make it difficult to be gone from home for a week. Perhaps cost of travel and lodging would be prohibitive. So…we’re offering an online option. You would participate in the class in real time via Zoom.
Teaching Pronunciation will be offered Summer 2023.
Note: Costs for Summer 2023 will be available January 2023.
Course Cost for Summer 2021
|Pronunciation||before June 1||$375|
|Pronunciation||after June 1||$425|
|ROWE + Pronunciation||before May 24||$650|
Housing and Meal Costs (Not applicable Summer 2021--Online only)
On-campus apartments, usually shared with one other person, are available.
|ROWE only||June 7-11: 5-night stay||$200|
|ROWE + Pronunciation||June 7-18: 12-night stay||$445|
Lunches-only meal plan (Monday through Friday) for $40/ week.