Grammar Course Overview
Teaching grammar is extremely challenging given the complexity of the English system. Teachers must first understand grammar before they can explain it to learners. In this 30-hour training course, participants will increase their own knowledge of the English grammar system and also gain the skills necessary to introduce grammatical concepts in clear, uncomplicated ways.
- Gain a foundational understanding of the English grammar system in areas such as:
- parts of speech
- question formation
- verb-related concepts, i.e., verb tenses, modals, and passive voice
- gerunds vs. infinitives
- count vs. non-count nouns
- comparatives and superlatives
- phrases vs. clauses
- Identify typical problem areas for English language learners
- Learn how to break down grammar concepts into organized and manageable chunks
- Develop key parts of lesson plans for teaching various grammar concepts
- Locate and evaluate grammar teaching resources
No, you can take this course even if you haven’t taken ROWE since this course focuses specifically on teaching grammar.
Participants are awarded a 30-hour non-credit certificate upon course completion. They also receive a letter outlining the course content.
Yes, there are!—We understand that sometimes it’s not possible to participate in person. You might live overseas or your life responsibilities or family situation may make it difficult to be gone from home for a week. Perhaps cost of travel and lodging would be prohibitive. So…we’re offering an online option. You would participate in the class in real time via Zoom.
The Grammar Course will be offered June 13-17, 2022
It consists of 30 contact hours in one-week intensive course, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Course costs will be available in January 2022.
This one-page course description is suitable for emailing and for posting on a bulletin board.