Requirements for Applying to Trauma Certificate Only
(For external applicants)
- Deadlines: July 1 for Fall. March 15 for Summer.
- Fall and summer entry only.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- GPA 3.0 minimum.
- Master’s Degree or higher that is completed or in progress in a mental-health discipline or related field.
- Examples of Mental Health Disciplines: Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, and Marriage and Family Therapy.
- Examples of Related Fields: Disaster Management, Humanitarian Action, Emergency Management, International Development, Public Health, Pastoral Counseling, Ministry, Spiritual Care, and Biblical and Theological Studies.
- Official Transcripts from all colleges where an undergraduate degree was earned and where a graduate degree was or is being earned.
- E-transcripts preferred. Address them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail hard copies to Graduate Admissions, Attn: Nancy Crane, 501 College Ave., Wheaton, IL 60187.
- Applicants who have earned more than 25% of their degree from institutions outside of their degree-conferring school will be required to supply official transcripts for those credits in the event they are not explicitly listed on their original transcript with course names and grades. Graduate Admissions will reserve the right to request additional transcripts as may be needed to meet departmental requirements or demonstrate proof of program-specific prerequisites.
- Application. Online form.
- Professional Recommendation Form.
- A person with whom you have had a supervisor-employee relationship, which can be in a non-paid context. A letter is acceptable as a supplement to the form.
- Recommendations from relatives not accepted.
- Resumé. Chronological.
- Application Fee. USD $30, non-refundable.
Requirements for M.A. applicants, current M.A. students, and Wheaton Graduate Alumni
- This information only applies to three programs: M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy, and M.A. in Humanitarian and Disaster Leadership.
Additional Requirements for International Students
International students, and permanent residents of the US whose native language is not English, are required to take either the TOEFL iBT Test, IELTS Academic Test, or Duolingo English test with the minimal scores indicated below:
- TOEFL iBT Test: 80 with at least 18 in each category
- IELTS Academic Test: 6.5 with at least 6.0 in each category
- Duolingo English Test: 105
Applicants who wish to waive their English proficiency test, please refer to the English proficiency page for details.
An International Transcript Verification Report is needed for students who completed degrees outside of the United States.
Please note that this program does not offer an F1 visa. International students can only do the online format. If interested in residential study, please apply for other MA degrees.
Please review Graduate International Admissions for full information.
Learn more about the program and the School of Psychology, Counseling, and Family Therapy.