Cost of the Vanguard Gap Year: 2023-2024
If a Vanguard takes full advantage of the opportunities to reduce program cost, the total out-of-pocket program cost is $17,300.
There's no way around it: a gap year is a significant investment. College? Even more so.
Students who have completed a gap year are more motivated and disciplined in their academic pursuits. Too many students use valuable time in college just learning how to navigate life away from home. Instead of focusing on classes, extra-curriculars, and building healthy relationships, they're learning how to balance time demands, developing realistic expectations and boundaries, and taking extra classes trying to determine their major.
While Vanguard is an investment, it prepares students to jump into college with a purpose, knowing who they are and where they want to go.
|Total Program Costs||$18,300|
If a Vanguard takes full advantage of the opportunities to reduce program cost (see below), the total out of pocket program cost for a year of room & board, travel, 8 college credits, and guided vocational discernment is $17,300.
Additional Information: Vanguard Program Costs
- Deposit: A $300 deposit (nonrefundable after May 1) confirms enrollment. After successful completion of the program, all bills being paid, this deposit will be refunded.
- Immersion Experiences: Vanguards will raise support for their immersion experiences. If their goal is not met, the amount will be added to the summer semester bill.
Decrease the Cost of Your Gap Year
Reducing Program Costs
|HoneyRock Match to Student Contribution||$1,000|
Additional Information: Decreasing the Cost of Vanguard
- Student Contribution: A matching scholarship up to $1,000 is given when a Vanguard participant contributes $1,000 of their own money towards program costs. This must be personally earned and cannot be raised through fundraising or gifts.
- Fundraising: All Vanguards work as a team to fundraise towards their Vanguard year. As the actual cost of the year is higher than the billed cost, Vanguards will engage in a number of fundraising efforts as a community to help offset the difference. Each Vanguard will have a fundraising goal of $5,000 for the year the helps cover program costs associated with the year. Fundraising efforts will include: support letters, local community work days, online auctions, etc.
Work at HoneyRock Over the Summer
Another way to consider offseting the cost of Vanguard is to work at HoneyRock in the summer, after you've completed the year. It's also a great way to immediately apply what you've learned from the year!
Summer Staff at HoneyRock
Incredible community, meaningful work, beautiful place...it's the best way to spend a summer!
Estimated Indirect Costs
The costs may be greater or lower depending on the individual situation.
Listed below are the estimated indirect costs that a participant could incur that are outside of the program cost.
We strongly encourage each Vanguard to have a debit card that parents can access and monitor. This allows Vanguards to learn how to budget their living expenses over the course of one year.
- Personal expenses/miscellaneous = $1,000
Includes but not limited to laundry, snacks, dinner in town, movie, etc...
- Transportation = $600
Traveling to and from HoneyRock during Christmas and pre-summer breaks.
- Total Estimated Indirect Costs = $1,600
Sign up and stay in the loop! Hear from our leadership, read stories from past Vanguards, and learn about unique distinctives Vanguard offers high school graduates.