FAQs About Minors

Who is a minor?

A minor is a person under 18 years of age.

Why does a minor need a guardian?

A minor is not of legal age to consent to medical treatment. A minor will need a signature from one of their parents or guardian before medical treatment can be given.

Who can be a guardian?

A minor needs a guardian when the minor's parents are not living in the United States. A guardian of a minor must be 18 years old or older; a US resident; of sound mind; not convicted of a felony and capable of providing an active and suitable program of guardianship.

What should parents of minors living outside of the USA do before sending their student to Wheaton College?

The parents should write a letter that gives the student's full name and date of birth, stating they agree that the named guardian is given decision-making ability for their minor child related to health care.

What if your minor student comes to Student Health Services for treatment?

The student will be assessed by a nurse. Before treatment or appointment with a medical provider can be given, the parent/guardian will be notified. Consent by the minor's parents or guardian must be given before the providers at Student Health Services can proceed with care.

What if Student Health Services needs to refer the minor to a health care professional in the community?

The staff at Student Health Services will inform the parents/guardian of this referral. The staff will ask that the parents/guardian assist in finding an adult to accompany the student to this appointment.

What if the minor needs immediate emergency care?

Please review the New and Transfer Undergraduate Students form. At the bottom on the first page "Medical History", it states that parents of a minor need to sign the Consent for Minors (linked below). This gives Student Health Services permission to carry out emergency care for a minor.

Policy Regarding Minors (PDF)