Posted February 7, 2022 by Academic and Institutional Technology
Tags: Department News
Change to Google Storage Limits
Effective Date: June 1, 2022
Google recently announced that new storage limits for Google Workspace for Education (formerly known as G Suite for Education) will take effect in July 2022. At that time, Wheaton College gmail users will no longer have unlimited storage for Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. To prepare for this change people need to review their current storage usage and delete any unnecessary files in Drive, Gmail, and Photos.
This means that by June 1, 2022, each my.wheaton.edu account holder can use no more than 50 GB of storage.
How to prepare:
- To confirm how much storage you’re using, go to https://drive.google.com/settings/storage.
- To review and delete large or unnecessary files in Drive, go to https://drive.google.com/drive/quota.
- To review and delete large or unnecessary files in shared drives, go to https://drive.google.com/drive/shared-drives.
- Consider deleting Drive content that you may have copied to a shared drive. If a file resides in 2 locations, it may be consuming twice the storage space.
- To search for and delete unnecessary or large emails, go to Manage files in your Google Drive storage and follow the instructions for Gmail.
As long as you’re under the 50 GB limit, nothing to worry about! We will reach out individually to those who are over the limit.
Key Benefits and Features
- This change will keep costs low while also providing adequate storage for our constituents.
Impact on College Community
Most people will not notice this change. We will reach out specifically to those who will be affected so they are aware of this change and have ample time to prepare and move their data elsewhere.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or call 630.752.4357 (HELP).