Congratulations on your admissions to Wheaton College! The Academic Advising Office (AAO) is excited for you, as you begin your Wheaton College story. Please follow the Five Steps below, which will prepare you for first-year registration process. If you have questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep track using this printable checklist: First-Year Registration Checklist
CONFIRM your Wheaton account
- Start, if you haven't already, by setting up your Wheaton account. Instructions are found HERE.
- Once your Wheaton account has been set up, you will have access to the Wheaton Portal. The Wheaton Portal is your home page for student account access, campus announcements, resource links and Banner Self Service. We will cover in Step 5 how to use Banner Self Service to register for your classes.
- Important Note: Please use your Wheaton email account when communicating with our office. If you need help setting up your Wheaton email account, please contact Academic and Institutional Technology (AIT): AIT.Service.Desk@wheaton.edu or call 630-752-4357. The AIT Service Desk is the first place to go whenever you encounter technical issues with your Wheaton account.
REQUEST your transcripts
Wheaton requires your final high school transcript as part of your admissions record. Please have your final high school transcript sent to email@example.com. We also need any and all transcripts or score reports that may earn you credit at Wheaton. Here is a list of the kinds of credit we accept and where to send those transcripts or score reports:
- Advanced Placement®(AP): request through CollegeBoard.org. The code for Wheaton College is 1905
- International Baccalaureate: request results be sent to Wheaton College (IL)
- Cambridge Level A or AS exams: we need the centre number, candidate number, and date of test emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can access your scores
- Request any college transcripts and have them sent to email@example.com
- If you have other types of credit, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can work with you to have the credit sent to Wheaton College
Here is a list of the Advanced Credit by Testing and how the credit articulates to courses at Wheaton College. Please note: We will process the transcripts and score reports in the order we receive them.
COMPLETE the pre-registration questionnaire
The pre-registration questionnaire is an invitation only online survey you will receive to your Wheaton email, by June 1st. We use this questionnaire to gather information on your academic interest and to keep track of transcripts you send to us (See Step 2). While you will be asked about what major you are considering, you are not declaring your major at this time. This helps assign you a faculty advisor in your current area of interest.
After completing the pre-registration questionnaire, a registration time ticket will be issued to you. The registration time ticket is a digital time stamp indicating the date and time you will be allowed to start registering for classes. There will be a detailed explanation on the registration time ticket in Step 5.
Important Note: It takes about 48 hours from the moment you complete the pre-registration questionnaire for the registration time ticket to be issued to you.
ATTEND academic advising session
Save the dates for the following academic advising sessions (all sessions are central time):
- April 20th 7:30pm: An overview of Christ at the Core (CATC) General Education Requirements - Link to recorded session
- May 20: How to use Major Academic Plans (MAPs)
- June 8: Completing Core Competencies
- June 21: How to use Degree Works
You will receive an email invitation with the links for joining these sessions. Don't worry if you are unable to attend all 4 sessions. We plan to record the sessions and post them here.
You can always make an appointment with an academic advisor: Appointment Link. Important Note: You must use your Wheaton email and password to login for appointment (See Step 1). If you have trouble, contact AIT.Service.Desk@wheaton.edu or call 630-752-4357.
Please make sure you have gone through Steps 1 through 4! A registration time ticket is required to register and you must complete the pre-registration questionnaire to be issued the time ticket.
SELECT your classes
At this point, locate your registration time ticket to determine when you can start registration. Please review How to find your time ticket.
As you get ready for registration, take a look at the resources below. These different resources will aid you in determining which courses you need for General Education Requirements or your Major Requirements. If you are not sure what to study, the Major Academic Plans (MAPs) can help you find the introductory courses in majors you are interested in. Important Note: All first-year students are REQUIRED to register for CORE 101 First Year Seminar.
- General Education Requirements: Christ at the Core (CATC)
- Major Requirements: Review the Major Academic Plans (MAPs) for your major of interest. The MAPs outline the recommended sequence of courses for each major and suggestions on how to fit in the CATC general education requirements. You can learn more about each major by visiting the link to the department website as indicated on the MAPs page.
- Schedule Template - Use a schedule template to organize your course schedule. You want to register for 12-18 credit hours and don't forget a block to eat lunch.
- Placement tests may be required and competency exams are available for a few subjects.
Now you're ready to watch the video below on how to use banner self service to register for your classes.
Start with our frequently asked questions.