Why Study Modern and Classical Languages?
The essence of a Christian liberal arts education is to interact with all of God’s world from a Christian perspective. Modern and Classical Language study equips students to do so especially well by challenging them to master a language, to ask significant questions and seek answers, to develop original ideas, and to become intellectually self-motivated, life-long learners and servants of Christ. Many Modern and Classical Language students at Wheaton are double majors, combining a language with majors such as archaeology, biblical and theological studies, business/economics, communication, psychology, philosophy, applied health science, education, or international relations.
Why Study Modern and Classical Languages at Wheaton?
You’ll learn the language, history, and culture of your chosen major, for sure. But as you are mentored by our engaged and discerning faculty and nurtured by our close-knit student community, you’ll also explore challenging questions regarding the ways your identity as a Christian is shaped by culture.
Pick from study abroad programs in Chinese, French, German and Spanish — all of which include home-stays, generous hospitality of host families, and the chance to build relationships with Christians from other cultural contexts. You’ll learn to translate your own faith and see God, yourself, and your culture through the eyes of others.
Courses in the Classical Languages section introduce students to the various cultures and civilizations of the Ancient Near East, from the Neolithic through the Koiné periods. Courses in Chinese, French, German, and Spanish introduce students to the issues and lifestyles of contemporary society in these cultures.
French, German, and Spanish sections also introduce students to the literary, historical, artistic, and religious development of the language regions via study of representative works of various literary and textual genres and related art and cultural forms.
In today’s global context, knowing a second language and studying abroad are a plus to any employer. Through Wheaton’s liberal arts focus, you’ll become proficient in areas that will help you stand out from the crowd.
- French: Wheaton in France, Violet Bergquist Scholarship Award, Internships, French Table, LLC, Student Employment
- German: Wheaton in Germany, Internships, Fulbright Scholar Program, Fulbright Commission’s Teaching Assistantship Program, Stammtisch, LLC, Student Employment, Edith D Shaffer Memorial Scholarship Award
- Mandarin Chinese: Chinese Language Culture Club, Wheaton in China, Chinese Program Monthly Newsletter, Mandarin Table, Asian Studies Track - Interdisciplinary Studies, Pui Tak Center, LLC, Student Employment
- Spanish: Wheaton in Spain, Wheaton in Costa Rica, Pilgrimage to Santiago, Wheaton in Mexico, Spanish Table, Internships, Violet Bergquist Scholarship Award, LLC, Student Employment
- Classical Languages: Class of ‘59 Hawthorne Scholarship Award, Student Employment, LLC
What Will I Learn?
- Classical Languages: Study Hebrew, Greek, and Latin to develop an awareness and appreciation of the languages and cultures of the ancient world through original texts.
- French: Develop awareness of the forms and functions of French, enhance your understanding of native speech and writing, and communicate creatively and comprehensively.
- German: Become proficient in Europe’s most widely spoken first language and gain an in-depth understanding of Germany, the most populous and influential member of the EU.
- Mandarin Chinese: Explore this fascinating culture and language with instructors who are intimately familiar with the needs of North American learners.
- Spanish: Develop your language abilities and explore the rich variety of histories, cultures and literatures of the Spanish-speaking world.
Students in any major can complete a minor by taking 20 hours of select courses listed 300-level and above. Minors are available for the following:
- Classical Languages
- Mandarin Chinese
Consult the course catalog for full listing of current courses available in this field.