If You Have Been Assaulted

Need to File a Report?  Need to file an anonymous report?


Survivors of sexual misconduct have the right to report conduct in violation of the Policy either to the College, law enforcement, or both.

Reporting Sexual Misconduct to the College (Non-Confidential)

Survivors of sexual misconduct are encouraged to report sexual misconduct to the College. To do so, individuals may:

Contact the Title IX Coordinators/Discrimination Complaint Officers:

Contact Public Safety: 630.752.5911 or public.safety@wheaton.edu

Make an Anonymous Report: Report by clicking the blue tab button at the top of this page.

All College employees other than the Confidential Resources listed below who receive a report are required to report all details of the incident to one of the Title IX Coordinators/Discrimination Complaint Officers. All reports will be handled as respectfully and privately as possible. The College will make every effort to honor requests for confidentiality, but must weigh such requests against the College’s obligation to provide a safe, non-discriminatory environment.

Reporting Sexual Misconduct to Law Enforcement

Survivors of sexual misconduct are also encouraged to contact law enforcement authorities (e.g., by calling 911), including local police, about possibly filing a criminal complaint. Complaints may be made to the Wheaton Police by calling 630.260.2161. The Title IX Coordinator/Discrimination Complaint Officers, Confidential Advisors, and Public Safety officials are available to assist students, employees, and others in making contact with appropriate law enforcement authorities upon request, or to assist individuals who have further questions. Except in the case of an allegation involving an individual under the age of 18, the College will not contact law enforcement without the student requesting the College to do so. Any pending criminal investigation or criminal proceeding may have some impact on the timing of the College’s investigation, but the College will commence its own investigation as soon as is practicable under the circumstances.

Seeking Medical Assistance & Preserving Evidence

Survivors of sexual violence are encouraged to seek immediate assistance from a medical provider for emergency services, including treatment of any injury, testing for and treating of sexually transmitted infections, and to collect and preserve physical and other forms of evidence. Seeking medical attention helps preserve the full range of options, including working through the College’s Complaint Resolution Procedures and/or filing a criminal complaint. Many services regarding sexual violence are free. Local medical assistance can be obtained at the following locations:

  • Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital Emergency Department
    25 N Winfield Rd.
    Winfield, IL 60190

  • Edward Hospital Emergency Room
    801 S. Washington
    Naperville, IL 60540

An individual may choose to allow the collection of evidence by medical personnel even if he or she chooses not to make a report to the police. In order to best preserve forensic evidence, it is recommended that an individual not shower, bathe, douche, clean, use the bathroom (if possible), smoke, or change clothes or bedding before seeking medical attention, and that medical attention be sought as soon as possible. If the individual decides to change clothes, s/he should bring the unwashed clothes worn during the incident to the hospital or medical facility in a clean paper bag.

Under Illinois law, certain medical personnel are required to alert police when the individual requesting treatment appears to have sustained injury as a victim of a criminal offense, including sexual violence. However, the individual may choose whether to speak to the police and is not required to do so.