Frequently Asked Questions

What is a disability?

A disability is a physical or mental condition that substantially limits or impairs any major life activities. This includes but is not limited to physical impairments, chronic medical conditions, psychological disorders, learning disabilities, ADHD.

I have a disability, how do I receive accommodations at Wheaton College?

To receive accommodations, you will need to register with Learning and Accessibility Services. Begin the registration process here.

Do I need to renew my accommodations?

Students who are registered with LAS will need to renew their approved accommodations at the start of each new semester and/or B-quad (if enrolled for B-quad courses). They can do that by submitting a Semster/Quad Request.

Are my disabilities confidential?

Information shared during registration will remain confidential. Faculty and staff may be informed of a student’s registration but no details of the disability will be shared without expressed or written consent.

I do not have a documented disability, but I would like academic support. Can LAS help me?

Yes! LAS supports ALL students by providing the following: 

  • Academic planning and counseling
  • Learning strategies
  • Time management skills
  • Academic Life Coaching

Can I seek accommodations if I haven’t had them before?

You can request accommodations by registering with LAS to begin the accommodations process. You will need to provide supporting documentation so please review our Documentation Guidelines.

I suspect I may have ADHD or a Learning Disability. Does LAS provide testing?

Our office can provide screening for ADHD or Learning Disabilities. A screening test is not a diagnostic tool but it can help determine if further evaluation is required. We can refer to organizations in the area for evaluation and diagnosis.

What academic support is available through the LAS office?

LAS provides all students with academic support which includes the following:

  • Academic planning 
  • Learning strategies
  • Time management skills
  • Academic Life Coaching

Does LAS provide resources for text to speech conversions or audio versions of documents?

We provide access to alternative texts for students that have a documented disability that impairs their ability to read the written word. We also direct students to Sensus Access, a free online document conversion service.

Does LAS provide services for graduate students?

LAS provides services for graduate students as well as undergraduate students. Grad students at Wheaton College can register with LAS to receive accommodations and can also access all services.

Will LAS accept my IEP/504 plan from high school?

In most cases, yes. If the accommodations you are requesting in college are the same as you are requesting in high school and are relevant to the college setting, we do accept IEPs and 504 plans as acceptable documentation.  If you are requesting an accommodation that is not clearly recommended in your IEP/504 plan or there is not a direct link between what is being requested and the disability, additional evaluation and documentation may be required.

What documentation do I need to receive accommodations?

See our Documentation Guidelines.

How recent does documentation need to be?

Documentation needs to be within the past 3 years at the time you request accommodations.  There may be exceptions if the nature of your condition is chronic/permanent.  Even with a chronic condition, in the majority of cases we require medical documentation or a psychoeducational evaluation no earlier than your freshman year of high school to ensure that the accommodations are relevant and college-appropriate. 

How can LAS help me transition into college successfully?

LAS can:

  • Help you register for and receive accommodations.
  • Provide academic counseling and support to encourage effective learning strategies, planning and time- management which may require a different approach than in high school.
  • Act as a liaison with faculty and staff if you have issues with accommodations.
  • Provide direction and support so you can communicate effectively with faculty and self-advocate.
  • Provide access to an Academic Life Coach who can help you clarify goals, create action steps and stay accountable.
  • Refer you to other helpful on and off-campus resources.

What will my high school accommodations look like in college?

Certain accommodations that you received in high school may look different in college. Our staff would be happy to discuss these changes with you and help navigate these differences. In college, you are required to initiate the request for accommodations, communicate with professors to assist with the implementation of accommodations, and initiate with our office when you have concerns. Self-advocacy is an important part of receiving accommodations in college.

Can I receive accommodations for a diagnosed mental health condition?

Yes, if your mental health condition meets the criteria for a disability under the ADA, you are eligible to receive accommodations for a diagnosed mental health condition. The accommodations you can receive will depend on the recommendation of a qualified mental health provider with whom you have an established relationship.

How do I submit a grievance?

Wheaton College is fully committed to complying with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act of 2008 (ADA and ADAAA) as well as Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, ensuring that all qualified students with disabilities have access to Wheaton’s programs, activities, and services and are provided reasonable accommodations, auxiliary aids and services to ensure access. Wheaton students who believe they have been denied access to reasonable accommodations or that the approved accommodations have not been implemented properly may invoke the ADA Grievance Procedure.

What other resources are available to help students thrive on campus?

  • Academic Advising Office
  • Buswell Library
  • Chaplain’s Office
  • Graduate Student Life
  • International Student Programs
  • Residence Life
  • Student Health Services
  • Student Care Services
  • Wheaton College Counseling Center
  • Writing Center