History internships offer students the opportunity to earn four hours of elective credit and to receive invaluable experience in a history-related job setting.
History internships are primarily recommended for students who seek to pursue a career in 7-12 history education or in public history (e.g., working at a museum, archive, historical society or historical site.) They offer students the opportunity to earn four hours of elective credit and to receive invaluable experience in a history-related job setting.
Internships Near Wheaton
The History Department encourages students to pursue internships during their college experience. Potential internship sites near Wheaton include:
- the Naper Settlement
- the First Division Museum at Cantigny
- the Center for History in Wheaton
- DuPage County Historical Museum
- Chicago offers more extensive possibilities (see the Activities and Opportunities webpage for a starting point)
Consider a summer internship near your home area or in some other location. For general internship ideas, check out these websites:
- Museums: The American Alliance of Museums
- Historical societies: The American Association for State and Local History
- Federal government: Office of Personnel Management (This site lists all available federal jobs, so seekers must search for relevant listings. Many are listed under GS-170 Historian.)
- State and local government: Check sites of individual states and cities, or this list of links.
- Archives: Society of American Archivists, National Council on Public History, Society for History in the Federal Government