Wheaton in Québec is a 5-week immersion into the language and culture of the French-speaking province of Québec. It offers a variety of language acquisition opportunities, in and outside of the classroom, and cultural immersion. Students will stay with families in Montréal and study language and culture with professors at the University of Montréal.
- Sponsoring Department: Modern Languages
- Program Leader(s): Dr. Alan Savage and Dr. Sheri Abel
- Term: Summer 2025
- Anticipated Program Dates: TBD
- Estimated Cost: TBD
- Prerequisites: Students must have fulfilled the foreign language competency requirement in French (FREN 201 or the equivalent)
- Eligibility: Open to Wheaton or non-Wheaton students (college or university) in good academic standing
- Partner Institution: Université de Montréal, Québec
- Highlights: Students have a homestay with Québécois families and study language and culture with experienced, dynamic native Francophone teachers. Students have the opportunity to worship in local churches in the area.
Program offering is subject to internal approval, minimum enrollment, and ongoing evaluation of local conditions, including enhanced health and safety reviews.
Students earn six credit hours toward the French major or minor.
FREN 335: Francophone Civilization and Culture (3 credit hrs)
On-site study of Francophone history, architecture, art, politics, and society.
FREN 338: Advanced French in Francophone Country (3 credit hrs)
Advanced grammar, conversation, and composition, taught by native speakers in a Francophone university setting. Course content and level variable.
This program fulfills the study abroad requirement for the French major at Wheaton College.
The estimated program fee includes tuition, all administrative fees, orientation materials, housing, two daily meals (students are responsible for lunches), and all group excursions.
Additional Anticipated Expenses: Program fees do not cover the cost of airfare to/from Québec. Students arrange their own flight itinerary so that they may travel independently after the program has ended or return home. Students are responsible for lunches, any personal expenses, and souvenirs.
If you have questions or would like to know more about the Wheaton in Québec program, contact Dr. Alan Savage, Professor of French, or Dr. Sheri Abel, Associate Professor of French, for further information.
How to Apply
To apply, visit GoGlobal, Wheaton College's registration system for off-campus study and international travel, research, and internships.