Wheaton in Mesoamérica is an eight-week summer program in Mexico and Guatemala that combines intensive language study and practice, cultural immersion, academic excursions and coursework, and service learning. It provides students a unique opportunity to live in and learn about the cultures, peoples, and principal language of Latin America: Spanish. The first half of the program takes place in Querétaro, México; the second half extends geographically to the Western Guatemalan highlands and takes place in the city of Quetzaltenango. Spanish and Latin American and Latina/o Studies (LALS) minors, as well as majors who cannot study abroad for a semester, are encouraged to apply. (LALS students will complete an additional 4-week
internship or independent study at the end of the program to meet their study abroad requirement.)
All applications received before the application deadline will be held for review. Applications received after the application deadline will be reviewed pending available space and in the order received. Student participation will be limited to 12 students.
This program fulfills the study abroad requirement for the Spanish major at Wheaton College.
- Sponsoring Department: Modern and Classical Languages
- Program Leaders: Dr. Timothy Klingler and Dr. Néstor Quiroa
- Term: Summer 2023
- Anticipated Travel Dates: May 15 to July 10, 2023
- Estimated Cost: $6,050-$6,550 (airfare not included) for 8 credit hours, students completing program for LALS major will take 4 additional credit hours for a total estimated cost of $9,050-$9,550.
- Prerequisites: 1)SPAN 331 for SPAN students or 2)LALS 301 and SPAN 201 for LALS students
- Eligibility: Participation will be limited to 12 Wheaton students in good standing.
- Highlights: Live with a host family and actively participate in community life as you learn about the social, cultural, economic, political, religious, and historical issues of a Latin country from a multi-disciplinary perspective.
Program offering is subject to internal approval, minimum enrollment, and ongoing evaluation of local conditions, including enhanced health and safety reviews.
Anticipated Course Offerings
Required Program Courses
Students earn 8 credit hours toward the Spanish major or minor during the program.
SPAN 338: Intensive Advanced Spanish (4 credit hours)
SPAN 353: Migration and Ethnicity in Contemportary Mesoamérica (4 credit hours)
Students completing the program for the LALS major will complete an additional 4-hour internship or independent study (LALS or SPAN 495/496)
The estimated program fee covers tuition, fees, orientation materials, most texts, transportation to and from the airport in Mexico, group land travel in Mexico, excursions, lodging, and all meals. Program fees do not cover the cost of airfare to/from Mexico, airport exit fees, passport or visa fees, nor any other personal expenses. We recommend a minimum of $400 for personal expenses and souvenirs.
Estimated Additional Expenses: Students are responsible for the cost of airfare to/from Mexico, airport exit fees, or any other personal expenses. We recommend a minimum of $400 for personal expenses and souvenirs.
If you have questions or would like to know more about the Summer in Latin America program, contact Dr. Timothy Klingler, Associate Lecturer of Spanish, for further information.
How to Apply
To apply, visit GoGlobal, Wheaton College's registration system for off-campus study and international travel, research, and internships.