Featured Wheaton Programs
Led by Wheaton College faculty, the Wheaton in México semester combines language study and practice, interdisciplinary courses, cultural immersion, and academic excursions. It gives students a unique opportunity to live in and learn about the cultures, languages and peoples of México.
Led by Wheaton College faculty, the Semester in Jerusalem provides the opportunity for students to engage ancient biblical and modern Middle East narratives.
Partner Programs Affiliated with a Christian College, Organization or Consortium
The CCC is a group of thirteen Christian colleges and universities located across the United States who serve the cause of Christ in higher education by encouraging and assisting one another in the pursuit of their respective missions.
Consortium Study Abroad
CCC member schools offer a variety of semester-long study abroad programs that are open to Wheaton students.
- China Study Abroad (Fall, alternate years)
- The China Study Abroad program is a 14-week travel study led by Asbury faculty. Student will stay in Xi’an, Beijing, Qinghai, Hong Kong and Thailand. The program is open to all majors but will be especially attractive to students of modern ancient history; Chinese and ancient languages; communications and media; and international communication and business.
- Paris Semester (Fall, alternate years)
- Asbury’s Paris Semester provides a full, 13-18 credit hour semester with courses focusing particularly on modern and contemporary global contributions (including language) stemming from France, language study and the opportunity of an internship in one’s field. French language proficiency is not required, and classes from beginning to advanced are available. Courses with regularly incorporate site visits to art collections and cultural centers throughout Paris.
- Bethel Guatemala Term (Spring)
- Guatemala Term is a cross-disciplinary program designed to provide students an opportunity to improve their ability to communicate in Spanish, to participate in the cultures of Guatemala, to develop an understanding of the connections between community ministry and community development, and integrate experiential learning with formal academic study.
- Bethel Spain Term (Fall)
- At the Center for Hispanic Studies, an on-site director and qualified faculty teach all classes in Spanish, taking into consideration the proficiency of the students. Students will live with a Spanish host family for the entire semester and will also be able to interact with native Spanish speakers and university students through organized cultural and language exchanges at the Center. Though geared toward Spanish majors and minors, Spain Term is open to any student who has completed two years of college level Spanish or the equivalent. The program also features travel through Spain and optional internship opportunities.
- Gordon in Orvieto, Italy
- Gordon in Orvieto is a program based in Italy oriented around the arts and the humanities so that students are better equipped to engage the relevance of communication and ideas that suffuse the world with meaning. The program invites students into a dialogue about the interplay of faith, art, community, and society—and to learn from the lives of artists, poets, and saints of the past. As a part of the program, students encounter places that were formative to Christian civilizations in the West and take courses in art, history, design and literature.
- The Balkans Semester for the Study of War and Peace is an interdisciplinary, humanities-based program centered around the themes of war and peace, conflict, and reconciliation. The program will provide students a unique opportunity to study these themes while learning first-hand from people on both sides of recent wars and genocides who are grappling with problems of justice and forgiveness and with navigating a path toward sustainable peace. Students take courses in sociology, literature, political philosophy/theology as well as the option either Peace and Conflict Studies, Sociology, Philosophy, or Political Science.
- Houghton in East Africa (Spring)
- Houghton in East Africa is an immersive and experiential program in Kenya, where students will study ecology and anthropology while engaging with their communities. Reinforce your studies with experiences such as travelling to nearby villages to learn about daily life, study biology and wildlife behavior at national parks, hike through gorges rich with ancient fossils, and more.
- Irish Studies Programme
- Based along the Irish Sea in Greystones, Ireland, the Taylor Irish Studies Programme creates an opportunity for students to deepen their cultural and spiritual awareness by experiencing the history and culture of Ireland. With the program, students will travel to nearly every region of Ireland led by Taylor faculty and Irish educators. Students can take courses in Celtic Christianity, Irish history and contemporary issues, art and more.
- Westmont in Cairo (Spring)
- During Westmont in Cairo, students will be encouraged to experience another culture from the inside, studying Arabic and Middle Eastern culture, navigating your way around the city, and interacting with Egyptians on a daily basis. Learn about Islam, the Egyptian church and Egyptian society while living in Cairo and visiting Istanbul, Israel and Palestine.
- Europe Semester (Fall)
- Europe Semester couples intensive study with first-hand experience of the places and people that have shaped European history and cultures. Students will travel widely, read, research, and write extensively, and learn from experts and everyday people from across Europe.
- Westmont in Northern Europe (Fall)
- During Westmont in Northern Europe, students will travel to fascinating places and meet remarkable people who have known first-hand the conflicts facing their countries and have been directly involved in peacemaking efforts, while studying European culture, history, literature and language.
Consortium Visitors Program (Domestic)
The Christian College Consortium (CCC) Visitor Program is designed to give students the opportunity to take advantage of course offerings and varied instructional experiences on other Christian college and university campuses for an academic semester.
To apply, please review the Application Process instructions.
The Creation Care Studies Program (CCSP) is a Christian organization whose mission is to educate students to be a part of, and agents for, God’s shalom particularly through understanding and caring for creation. Nestled under the snow-capped Kaikoura range and a short bike ride from the ocean, CCSP’s campus is the ideal setting for a New Zealand study program. Through ecological field studies, homestays, and participation in a diversity of cultural activities students explore the ecological and cultural diversity of New Zealand while learning to sustainably care for both non-human creation and human. Throughout the semester, the schedule also allows for independent exploration of New Zealand during breaks and free weekends.
HGU offers a distinctively Christian and highly academic education in a culturally diverse environment. Academic areas of study include Engineering Physics, TESOL, International Law, Political Science and International Relations, and Business.
An advanced program in the history, geography, culture, religions, and languages of biblical times and of the modern Middle East. The program brings JUC students to nearly every corner of Israel and Jordan to engage with the Bible in its land. Students have the opportunity to study with Israeli and Palestinian faculty members who are experts in their fields.
Note: Federal and State financial aid is not transferable with this program.
Study Abroad Lithuania is a semester long program hosted by CCCU Affiliate school, LCC International University. Students will learn in an international community and travel Central Europe, Russia and the Baltic States - all while earning academic credit in a wide variety of disciplines at a Christian liberal arts university to match your academic and professional goals. LLC offers major-specific courses in Business, Economics, English, Psychology, Communications, International Relations and Theology along with a wide range of other courses to meet your general education requirements.
Scholar’s Semester in Oxford is an intensive study experience available to all majors. SSO is designed specifically for students seeking an academically robust program. In tutorials, students meet one-on-one with acclaimed Oxford scholars (often including widely-published authors, historians, former international ambassadors, and other celebrated scholars) to go head-to-head on subjects within the disciplines of history, literature, languages, philosophy, musicology, art, science, and more. It requires a minimum GPA of 3.7.
The East Asia Institute at CCCU affiliate school,Tokyo Christian University is a is a fall semester language and culture program. that offers you the opportunity to study about Japan and the Far East while experiencing it. Students will be able to study the history, language, philosophy, church, and culture of Japan. Live and learn with a diverse student body as you engage in academic and experiential learning opportunities.
Semester in Spain is a semester-long Spanish language immersion study abroad program that offers beginner, intermediate, and advanced level Spanish courses every fall and spring – so regardless of your language background, there are courses for you. Intermediate and Advanced students who attend the Spring term may stay for an additional 4-8 weeks to complete an Internship with a Spanish business, educational site, or social services agency.
The mission of Veritas Christian Study Abroad is to provide college-level study abroad programs at host universities while helping students develop as mission-minded global Christian leaders.
- Veritas: Chile
- Veritas Chile offers courses at Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV), a traditional catholic university, for advanced-level Spanish students. Students will take courses in Spanish language, culture and civilization, and Business courses in English. Students who possess an advanced Spanish proficiency level are eligible to enroll in courses with local Chileans in a variety of subjects.
- Veritas: London
- Veritas: London offers a wide range of courses to study from London’s historic University of Roehampton and the opportunity to explore the British metropolis. Some of the subjects you can study there include dance, biology, media studies, London studies, and social sciences. The program features excursions to iconic locations such as Cambridge, Canterbury and Dover Castle, Stonehenge and Bath, and more.
- Veritas: Rome
- Through the American University of Rome, Veritas: Rome offers students the opportunity to study film, arts, media and more. The campus is within walking distance from the city center and sits right around the corner from the Aurelian Walls, a historic line of city walls that date back to 271 AD which encompass the Seven Hills of Rome.
Partner Programs Not Affiliated with a Christian College, Organization or Consortium
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (BSM) provides a unique opportunity for North American undergraduates. Through this program, mathematics majors in their junior/senior years may spend fall or spring semester in Budapest and study under the tutelage of eminent Hungarian scholar-teachers. The instructors of BSM are members of Eötvös University, the Mathematical Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and Budapest University of Technology and Economics, the three institutions known for having educated more than half of Hungary’s highly acclaimed mathematicians. BSM classes are held at the College International, a Hungarian-based educational institution focusing on international students studying in Budapest. All courses are taught in English.
Find out more about Budapest Semesters in Mathematics
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education (BSME) is a study abroad program in Budapest, Hungary, designed for undergraduates and recent graduates interested in the learning and teaching of secondary mathematics. BSME was conceived by the founders of Budapest Semesters in Mathematics, and the two programs share a common goal—to experience the mathematical and general culture of Hungary. BSME is specifically intended for those who are not only passionate about mathematics, but also the teaching of mathematics.
Find out more about Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education
CIEE is a non-profit, non-governmental international exchange organization that provides quality, rigorous, study abroad opportunities for students from a wide variety of US colleges and universities.
Only the CIEE Programs listed below are approved.
- China, Shanghai:
- Accelerated Chinese Language
- Students will be able to explore Shanghai while also enrolling in courses that focus on rapid language acquisition, designed to move students ahead at least two levels in all four Chinese language skills and facilitate intercultural understanding.
- Business, Language and Culture
- Improve your Chinese language skills and boost your cultural knowledge while studying international business in Shanghai — a global hub of culture, commerce, and finance. Students can also opt for a for-credit internship and gain practical work experience and firsthand insight into Chinese business culture.
- China in a Global Context
- Gain an in-depth understanding of China and experience China firsthand with study abroad in Shanghai, one of the fastest growing cities in the world, as you learn about the history, culture, language, and economic prowess of China.
- Accelerated Chinese Language
- Costa Rica, Monteverde: Sustainability and the Environment
- Watch your Spanish skills bloom in Monteverde as you dig into today’s pressing environmental issues. Take four required content courses focused on environmental studies and sustainability, as well as a Spanish language course at your placement level at CIEE Global Institute – Monteverde.
- Czech Republic, Prague: Central European Studies
- Explore the history and culture of this dynamic Central European nation through courses in politics, history, media, art, religion and literature taught in English at CIEE Prague and partner schools and through excursions outside of Prague.
- England, London:
- London Open Campus
- Customize your study abroad term on the Open Campus Block Program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your courses from a wide range of subject areas while living in a historic and vibrant neighborhood in London.
- Arts and Sciences (University College London)
- From arts and humanities, to social and historical sciences, you’ll find challenging coursework across academic disciplines to advance your degree including engineering, law, biomedical sciences and more. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
- Arts and Sciences (Westminster)
- Take classes in media, communications and business alongside British students and even gain real-world work experience with an internship at a British company. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
- Arts and Humanities (Goldsmiths University)
- Surrounded by London’s must-see art, music, theater, and fashion – students focus their studies in one of 18 academic departments at Goldsmiths, which is renowned for its innovation and creativity. All courses are complemented with CIEE excursions beyond the city to enhance intercultural understanding.
- London Open Campus
- France, Paris: French and Critical Studies
- The program offers immersion in French language, art, culture and university life. Challenge yourself with fascinating classes in the arts, French academic reasoning and its intellectual tradition, with the vast course offerings Université de Paris. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
- France, Rennes: Liberal Arts
- Take classes at the Centre International Rennais d’Etude du Francais pour Etrangers (CIREFE) at Université Rennes II with students from around the world. You can also earn credits teaching English as a foreign language in Rennes’ primary, middle, or high school. Courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide greater intercultural understanding.
- Germany, Berlin: Berlin Open Campus
- Do Berlin on your own terms by customizing your experience through the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas.
- Ireland, Dublin:
- Arts and Sciences (Trinity College Dublin)
- Choose from a wide-range of courses across three colleges: Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Engineering, Mathematics, and Science; and Health Sciences. Students can opt to take a full course load at Trinity (five courses per semester) or combine Trinity courses with CIEE electives, taught by adjunct lecturers at CIEE Dublin, located on Dublin City University’s All Hallows campus.
- Arts and Sciences (University College Dublin)
- Immerse yourself in Ireland’s largest university and CIEE’s partner school by enrolling in courses at University College Dublin (UCD) alongside Irish and international students. Select coursework across six colleges: Arts & Humanities; Business, Engineering, and Architecture; Health and Agricultural Sciences; Science; and Social Sciences and Law.
- Arts and Sciences (Trinity College Dublin)
- Italy, Rome: Rome Open Campus
- Experience Rome your way by customizing your study abroad term on the Open Campus Block Program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your courses from a wide range of subject areas. In Rome, you’ll be located in the Prati neighborhood, right in the heart of Rome and walking distance to the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, and Campo de Fiore.
- Jordan, Amman: Middle East Studies
- Come to Amman and immerse yourself in Middle Eastern history, culture, politics, and language study at CIEE Amman. You can also immerse yourself in university life by directly enrolling at CIEE’s partner school, Princess Sumaya University for Technology (PSUT). Select coursework across of range of academic areas, in English, along with Arabic language classes matched to your skill level.
- Korea, Seoul: Arts and Sciences
- CIEE’s Arts and Sciences program is designed for students to learn at a top-ranked Korean university and experience everyday life in Seoul – a World Design Capital and the center of popular culture featuring the fastest internet in the world. Select from courses taught in either English or Korean at our partner school, Yonsei University, as well as CIEE Seoul across a wide array of subjects, including Korean language, architecture, engineering, computer science, business, international relations, and history.
- Netherlands, Amsterdam: Business and Culture
- Students gain insight into global business and critical economic issues by enrolling at one of CIEE Amsterdam's two partner schools, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) or the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU). Students can also take classes taught at CIEE Amsterdam.
- Russia, St. Petersburg: Russian Area Studies
- Students with 0-4 semesters of Russian are invited to immerse themselves in Russian history, culture, politics, language study, and university life at CIEE St. Petersburg. Select coursework across a range of academic areas, in English, along with Russian language classes matched to your skill level. Integrate yourself into the local community through volunteer work. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
- Spain, Madrid: Liberal Arts
- Come to Madrid and take your advanced Spanish language skills to the next level in one of the world’s most energetic, artistic, and cosmopolitan cities. Ideal for students majoring in humanities, social sciences, journalism, psychology, linguistics, or communications and/or those who want to gain real-world work experience with an internship at a Spanish company. Students take classes at CIEE’s prestigious partner school, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) and at the CIEE Global Institute - Madrid and agree to speak only Spanish to facilitate language and cultural immersion.
- Spain, Seville:
- Business and Society
- Take your Spanish language skills to the next level while studying economics and business management and/or gaining real-world work experience with an internship. Choose from coursework in English at CIEE Seville and our partner institutions, University of Seville and University of Pablo de Olavide (UPO). Business and Society courses are held at the University of Seville School of Economics and Business, just a quick walk from CIEE Seville, which is located in the heart of Seville, close to the Royal Alcazar palace.
- International Business and Culture
- Take your beginning and intermediate Spanish language skills to the next level while you explore international business at CIEE’s partner school, Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO). Courses are taught in English across a range of subject areas, including international relations, psychology, business, history, literature, science, and more. Students can also opt for a for-credit internship and gain practical work experience and firsthand insight into Spanish business culture.
- Liberal Arts
- - Take your advanced Spanish language skills to the next level while studying across a range of academic areas at CIEE Seville and our partner schools, Universidad de Sevilla and Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO). Study alongside local students across a broad range of disciplines, in Spanish, while immersing yourself in the rich culture of Seville. CIEE Seville is located in the heart of Seville, close to the Royal Alcazar palace.
- Communications, New Media and Journalism
- Whether you’re a beginning Spanish learner, or more advanced, you’re invited to the wonderful city of Seville to increase your knowledge of contemporary media culture and production. Students choose courses in English at CIEE’s partner school - EUSA School of Communications - from its three main degrees: Audiovisual Communication; Journalism; and Publicity and Public Relations. Spanish language learning is also available and encouraged to facilitate cultural immersion.
- Business and Society
DIS Study Abroad is a non-profit institution offering semester programs taught in English with offers a wide variety of courses with flexible options in building a semester to meet student goals. Students can choose to apply for the Copenhagen or Stockholm semester programs. The intellectually challenging curriculum is broad, cutting edge, and enriched by experiential learning components, including faculty-led study tours across Europe.
French immersion through a required homestay and courses in French is central to the IAU experience in Aix-en-Provence. IAU offers study abroad programs in the historic Provençal city of Aix-en-Provence, France. Located along the Mediterranean Sea, IAU allows students to experience the culture of the south of France. The breadth and depth of courses available in Aix, Paris, Barcelona, and on multi-country traveling seminars allow students from all disciplines ample opportunity to continue their path of study from their home university as well as try something new while abroad.
The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) was founded in 1988 on the campus of Butler University as a provider of study abroad programming for U.S. undergraduates. IFSA operates independently as a non-profit organization and maintains a close connection with Butler University. They are committed to providing the best study abroad programs with integrated academic guidance and individualized support to ensure student success.
IFSA will help you round out your classroom experience with hands-on opportunities like internships, directed research, student teaching, community-based learning or volunteering. Their vast network of professionals around the globe is ready to support you. By taking advantage of their broad network, you will be able to engage in the community, build competencies by communicating across cultures, and develop yourself as a citizen of the world.
Approved IFSA programs for Wheaton College students:
The London School of Economics (LSE) allows students from overseas universities to spend a full academic year from late September through to early June. No single semester/term options are offered largely due to the fact that most of the modules span the full year.
Applicants to LSE should be in the top 10-15 per cent of their home university and are required to have completed two years of university-level (undergraduate) study before their time at LSE.
- IFSA: London School of Economics (Economics majors only - year program)
SOAS, University College London, specializes in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, so a semester abroad with SOAS will be academically challenging as well as culturally enriching. Students can study at SOAS in the autumn or spring term, choosing from over 400 modules to build a unique program including both traditional disciplines and specialist modules across eleven departments.
Applicants from the US/Canada should have a GPA of 3.3/4.0.
- IFSA: SOAS, University of London Partnership
Academically challenging and intensely experiential, the Sustainable Development Studies program is focused on understanding sustainability and is designed in collaboration with local communities.
Sponsored by Wayne State University since 1953, the Junior Year in Munich is officially affiliated with the Ludwig Maximilians Universität München (LMU Munich). JYM students are enrolled at LMU Munich and have access to the full university curriculum in any major, except law and medicine. Students create their course own schedule from among University Courses, JYM Courses (German Language and Area Studies electives), Undergraduate Research Projects and Internships.
The Semester in Environmental Science is a 15-week fall semester at the Ecosystems Center of the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. The curriculum provides an intensive field and laboratory-based introduction to ecosystem science and the biogeochemistry of coastal forests, freshwater ponds and estuaries. Scientists at the Ecosystems Center serve as faculty for the program. In addition to teaching fundamentals of ecosystems science, they discuss their current research, which touches on important issues of global change.
Established in 1947, the American University Washington Semester Program is an academic, experiential learning program for Political Science/International Relations majors only. It includes eight credits of academic seminar in American government and foreign policy topic areas, four credits of internship, and the option of taking an additional three to four credits of independent research or an elective course. Topic areas include:
- American Politics
- Foreign Policy
- Global Economics and Business
- International Law and Organizations
- Justice and Law
- Religion, Politics, Peace, and Security
- Sustainable Development
All Wheaton College students planning to study abroad for a semester are REQUIRED to apply for Off-Campus Study Approval on Wheaton's registration system, GoGlobal.