Addressing for Success
The following is recommended in the sequence and position indicated for addressing to insure efficient handling and delivery by the U S Postal Service:
Domestic Address Format
International Address Format
USPS services that CPO provides include: Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, First Class, Media Mail, Certified Mail, Bulk Mail, Business Reply Mail. We are unable to sell UPS, FedEX and DHL services, however we can be used as a drop off for prepaid items.
CPO’s tracking options are limited to Certified Mail and Priority Mail Express. Should you require a tracking number you are able to use the post office website.
Before a large mailing gets too far into the planning stage, include the CPO Supervisor in your mailing arrangements. This person can be of assistance to you to ensure your mailing program is cost effective, efficient and timely.
Letters with gummed flaps that require postage are automatically sealed when the postage is affixed. If your letters require sealing please overlap the flaps and leave them open. Mailings that are not prepared in this manner will be returned to your department with a reminder request.
There is a small surcharge for sealing envelopes that do not require postage.
Standard (Bulk) Mail
Mailings of 200 pieces or more weighing less than 1 pound can be sent inexpensively as bulk mail. This is a NON-PRIORITY class of mail and can take up to 3 weeks to arrive and is not forwarded. To qualify for this special rate set by the USPS, all mailings sent by your office must comply with the following guidelines:
- Labeling - Labeling or addressing and affixing of the addresses are handled by our department. Zip Codes are required.
- Enclosures - All pieces in the mailing must be identical and have the same enclosures. Personal salutations are allowed but not recommended. Do not write on the outside of envelopes.
- Counting - 200 pieces is the minimum for any bulk mailing.
- Cost - Contact CPO (630) 752-5083 (x5083) for costs and rates.
- Postage - Bulk mail can have postage applied 2 different ways:
- Metered through CPO's mailing machine which also seals. We require the envelope flaps to be overlapped. Meter machine will count the total.
- Preprinted indicia. Please make sure to indicate the exact number of pieces in the mailing.
- Timing - The standard set by the Post Office is coast to coast service within 7 to 21 days. Any dated material should be sent in advance. Do not expect same day service when we receive the mailing.
- All Foreign Mail - including Canada and Mexico, rubber banded and separated. These items do not count toward the total number of pieces in the mailing.
- Please Note: The week before and after classes start or end for each semester, as well as Christmas, is extremely busy in CPO and Standard (Bulk) Mail will be delayed.
Various Classes of Mail
The cost of mailing varies with each classification:
- First Class Mail
- Priority Mail
- Standard Mail B (previously known as Fourth Class Mail)
- Special Services
- Express Mail
- International Mail
First Class Mail (5-7 days, not guaranteed)
Any piece of mail under 13 ounces can be mailed first class.
Priority Mail (2-3 days, not guaranteed)
All First Class mail exceeding 13 ounces is automatically upgraded to Priority Mail. Pricing is based on weight and distance. CPO also carries various flat rate package options for Priority mail.
Feel free to contact us for details (630) 752-5083 (x5083).
Media Mail / Standard Mail (7-21 days, not guaranteed)
- Media Mail - Books, DVDs, paper, musical scores, scripts, reference charts, etc. No personal correspondence allowed.
- Standard Mail - No special designation of contents. A cheaper, slower alternative to Priority Mail.
USPS Special Services
Certified Mail - provides you with a mailing receipt and a record of delivery is maintained at the recipient's post office for two years. A return receipt provides you with proof of delivery and can be obtained for an additional fee. Certified mail service is available only for First Class Mail. No insurance coverage is provided. A numbered label and completed receipt must be affixed. These labels can be obtained from CPO.
Return Receipts - A return receipt is your proof of delivery. A return receipt is an additional option when already sending Certified Mail. The return receipt identifies the article number, who signed for it and the date it was delivered. It is not necessary to utilize a return receipt on all certified mailings. Be certain to identify your department or account number on any return receipts so we can route them back to you.
Express Mail (1-2 days, Money-back guarantee)
Express Mail is based on weight and distance. Flat rate envelopes are available at the CPO window and highly recommended.
CPO offers first class letter and package options for international mail. Due to changing regulations, we cannot offer Priority or Express international services at this time.
The USPS is extremely particular about addressing and labeling international packages. Please contact us (630) 752-5083 (x5083) for assistance in properly preparing your international mail.
Outgoing personal mail is handled along with college mail. You may deposit your personal mail in the mail pouch located in your department or area.
Outgoing personal mail must be sealed and have the proper postage affixed prior to depositing in the Mail System. You may also bring your mail to the CPO window and purchase postage.
Personal mail will be delivered to the U S Postal Service as received in CPO during our next scheduled trip.
All business reply postage and handling charges are billed back to using departments. When you decide to design any business reply envelope or card, please call CPO postmaster at extension 5083 for proper format. Your account number must appear in the address for billing.
Business Reply Mail (BRAMAS)
BRAMAS service enables mailers to receive First Class mail by paying postage only on the mail which is returned. We guarantee payment of the appropriate First Class postage plus a handling charge per piece.
A special format is required for mailing in foreign countries.
Note: Business Reply Mail Handling Charges range from 44¢* per piece to 2¢ per piece plus postage. Contact CPO prior to designing or printing any Business Reply mail pieces to insure the most cost effective method.
Courtesy Reply Mail
Pre-printed envelopes with special formats are available. Mailers returning these to us must prepay the postage.
Please attach a note to the piece to be mailed to expedite mailings of specialized nature. This note is completed by the mailer and must accompany the mailing to CPO.
The following mailings require a request note:
- All mail and/or packages for 2nd day delivery or next day delivery
- All letters, flats, or parcels for Certified mail.
- Bulk Mailings (see Bulk Mail page)