Off-Campus Housing Policy
Wheaton College is a residential college, which means we are committed to providing an educational experience that extends from the classroom to campus housing during a student’s full college experience from freshman to senior year. The Board of Trustees (the owners of the College) want to provide whole person education, which includes attending classes, worshipping together in chapel, and living on campus. Therefore, Wheaton works to house all students in campus housing. However, the College has determined there are individuals who qualify for an Automatic Off-Campus permission, and those are listed below. Students who qualify for automatic off-campus permission may sign a lease after confirming their status with the Housing Office during the housing selection process.
- Part-time student (under 12 hours)
- 5th year student
- Living at home with a parent or in a home owned by parents
- 3rd and 4th year nursing and engineering students
- 25 years old or older
- Married student
- Current third year students currently living off-campus during the 20-21 school year
Expectations for Students with Automatic Off-Campus Permission
- Commit to living out the Community Covenant in their homes and neighborhoods while enrolled at Wheaton College.
- Live in apartments, town houses and houses with no more than four individuals (total students and non-students) for the academic year. This is a Wheaton College residence life policy. Off-Campus living units with four or fewer individuals aid in maintaining safe and quality living environments, prevent parking shortages, and establishes good relationships with neighbors and the community.
- Represent Wheaton College well in how they care for the home and property.
- Provide their own overnight parking off-campus (the College does not provide off-campus students with overnight parking on campus).
- Take care of their own garbage (do not dispose of your garbage in on-campus receptacles).
- Attend required off-campus housing meetings.
- Provide the Residence Life Office with their local address and phone number by the end of the first week of classes.
Resource for Off-Campus Housing
Do not sign a lease for an off-campus apartment or house before you have received approval from the Residence Life Office, through the spring housing selection process.
College Pads is a third party provider that offers you tools to compare off-campus housing options and rooms for rent near Wheaton College. Their platform includes filter features to help you narrow your search by price, number of bedrooms, amenities, etc. Each listing also includes walk, bike, and bus times to different locations on campus so you'll know your daily commute. College Pads also provides Roommate and Sublease pages that give you the ability to post and search for roommates, subleases and temporary housing; these pages are available only to the Wheaton College community through your Net ID login. Click on the "Login" button on the top left of the main page to access these resources. If you need help, please contact College Pads at 414-882-3226 or email@example.com.
Meet the Resident Directors
Learn more about our Resident Directors and all they do to support students on our campus.