Wheaton College Color Logo

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I am considered an international student?

Students are considered international student applicants if they are non-U.S. citizens and do not have a U.S. Permanent Resident visa. A separate international application is required.

Students who hold a “green card” (U.S. Permanent Resident status) may apply using the regular College of Arts and Sciences or Conservatory of Music application (not the International Student application), indicating that they have a Permanent Resident visa.

Students who have dual citizenship in the U.S. and another country may apply as a U.S. citizen.

Students from Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Palau and any other area with a U.S. zip code may apply as a U.S. citizen. 

Do I have to be a Christian to apply to Wheaton College?

Wheaton’s mission statement expresses the stable and enduring identity of the College - our reason for existence and our role in society and the church. All the purposes, goals, and activities of the College are guided by this mission.

Wheaton College serves Jesus Christ and advances His Kingdom through excellence in liberal arts and graduate programs that educate the whole person to build the church and benefit society worldwide. This mission expresses our commitment to do all things "For Christ and His Kingdom."

Students must be able to affirm this mission and our community covenant. We also encourage students to review the statement of faith which all Wheaton staff and faculty affirm, in order to understand the Christian heritage which serves as the foundation for our community. If you are not a Christian, Wheaton would not be the best choice of colleges for you as the goal and mission of the school is to prepare students to serve in the name of Jesus Christ.

What is Wheaton College's statement of faith?

All Wheaton faculty and staff must affirm Wheaton's statement of faith. This document outlines the core theological beliefs affirmed by the Wheaton College community.

What is the Community Covenant?

All incoming students must agree to participate fully in Wheaton's Community Covenant. This document establishes the basic biblical standards for godly Christian character and behavior in order to establish a campus atmosphere that encourages healthy spiritual, moral and intellectual growth.

Is there a special application for international students?

International students are required to complete the general online application, which also includes specific questions necessary for international applicants. Please also refer to the  admissions process for international students for important additional application requirements for international students.  

I want to apply to the Conservatory of Music. Do I need to fill out a special application?

Please complete the general online application for the Conservatory of Music. There are some  additional requirements for Conservatory of Music applicants, such as a music teacher recommendation and an audition. Please also refer to the  for additional application information requirements for international students.

Does Wheaton College require an English proficiency exam?

Yes, please see the  English proficiency requirements for complete information on acceptable tests and scores.

What kind of financial assistance do you offer international students?

The Wheaton College Undergraduate Admissions Office awards one full tuition, room and board international student scholarship each year. No separate application is required; every international student applying for admission will automatically be considered for this scholarship.  Financial need will be a leading factor in the awarding of the scholarship.

International students may also be eligible to receive the Presidential Scholarships, academic scholarships based on standardized test scores, GPA, academic rigor of curriculum at their high school, and class rank (if available). 

  • Blanchard Presidential Scholarship - $16,000 per year
  • Edman Presidential Scholarship - $12,000 per year

While each student is responsible for funding their Wheaton education, financial assistance for international students is also available through Wheaton. Therefore, each student is responsible for funding their Wheaton education. Funds for a full year must be secured before an I-20 allowing entrance into the United States will be issued. Funds for the duration of a student's education must also be documented.

What financial documentation does Wheaton College require for international students?

All international applicants are required to submit the International Financial Verification Form (PDF) or submit the online International Financial Verification Form (JotForm). This form helps Wheaton College evaluate the financial resources available to you for your education. Strict United States immigration laws require us to verify the ability of international students to pay all tuition and living expenses for the time they are studying in the US. Financial verification must be made prior to institutional issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019).

Secure File Transfer

Use this tool to send us your documentation using a secure website.

As an international student, who should I contact in the Admissions Office if I have questions?

Our Overseas Admissions Counselor is your advocate at Wheaton and a resource for all international prospective students. Connect with your Overseas Admissions Counselor with any questions regarding undergraduate international student admissions and academic programs.

Is there a special international student orientation?

Yes, our Student Activities Office has created a special orientation program, "Passport to Wheaton", just for incoming international students. International students are required to attend this program, since important immigration papers will be discussed and filled out during the international student orientation portion of the program.  

Where can I find out information on receiving outside funding for my Wheaton education?

NAFSA, the Association of International Educators (www.nafsa.org), has provided a list of websites with multiple scholarship resources.  Wheaton College does not officially “endorse” any of these websites; however, they may provide useful information on funding:

What kind of social customs and cultural differences should I expect to encounter in the United States?

EduPASS has a list of some American customs and cultural differences.  Although each student’s experience of the United States will vary, you may want to visit this website to become familiar with some of the more important cultural differences:   http://www.edupass.org/culture/