Accelerated MAT in World Languages
License and Endorsements
Wheaton College offered an initial teaching endorsement in Spanish. German and French. All students pursing the Accelerated MAT in Spanish, German or French will earn their Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) in grades PK-12 in that language.
Subsequent endorsements such as ESL/Bilingual, Special Education or other middle school content areas can be added by taking 18 hours of coursework in those fields and taking the content area test.
Accelerated MAT in Spanish, German or French Timeline
All students completing the Accelerated MAT in a world language complete all of language requirements for that major. Upon completion students will graduate with a full BA in Spanish, German or French, then stay for a fifth year to complete their Master of Arts in Teaching.
Accelerated MAT in Secondary Education requires 10 hours of undergraduate prerequisites and 34 graduate hours. Among 34 required graduate credit hours, up to a total of 16 credit hours (a maximum 8 credit hours per semester) can be taken in the undergraduate senior year after being accepted to the Accelerated MAT program.
Education Core (30 Credits)
- EDUC 506 Classroom Communication and Curriculum Integration
- EDUC 527L Secondary and Middle Education Practicum
- EDUC 531 Ethical Perspectives on Teaching
- EDUC 541 Statistics in Education
- EDUC 542 Research Methodologies in Education
- EDUC 587 Philosophical Foundations of Education
- EDUC 594 Craft of Teaching
- EDUC 596 Student Teaching
- EDUC 597 Scholarly Inquiry Paper
- LING 531 Theological Perspectives on Language and International Education
- LING 618 English Language Learning Content Methods and Materials
Biblical and Theological Studies (4 Credits)
- One approved Bible/Theology course
- Complete a Scholarly Inquiry Paper or thesis within five years of the first term as a full M.A.T. student
Total: 34 credits