The mechanical systems, which provide cooling and ventilation for the Science Center, are located here on the penthouse level.
The mechanical systems, which provide cooling and ventilation for the Science Center, are located here on the penthouse level. With the recent improvements in mechanical systems it is now possible to make energy-conscious choices in this area. With this in mind, Wheaton College installed an Energy Recovery Unit (ERU) in the Science Center. This system transfers energy from exhaust air to supply air using an “Energy Recovery Wheel,” reducing the energy needed for cooling by 22% and for heating by 61%.
Some of the energy efficient features of the Science Center’s mechanical systems include:
- Total energy recovery for general exhaust system
- Sensible energy recovery for fume exhaust system
- Variable volume air handling units
- Variable volume fume hood exhaust system
- Variable volume pumps
- Air side economizer for free cooling
- Unoccupied reset controls for temperature and airflow
- High efficiency filtration
- Low flow plumbing fixtures
- High efficiency lighting fixtures and control system
- Commissioning of all energy consuming equipment