Unlike last year, when COVID-19 forced the College to cancel Commencement altogether, we are very pleased to be hosting a graduation ceremony for graduating seniors on campus and in person. The outdoor undergraduate ceremony is scheduled for 10 a.m., Sunday, May 9, CDT.
While we are thrilled to host an on-campus and in-person Commencement for the students, we are saddened that family and friends will not be allowed to attend due to Illinois' public health guidelines. The College understands the disappointment caused by not being able to share this experience with the students.
Here is some important information:
- Family and friends are invited to watch the Commencement ceremony via livestream; a link will be sent in the coming weeks. The outdoor ceremony is scheduled for 10 a.m. Sunday, May 9 CDT and will be roughly two hours in length. A printed Commencement program will be sent, in advance, to parents. View Commencement FAQs.
- A professional photographer will take a picture of each student and the College will cover the cost of a photo; more information will be sent to each student's my.wheaton.edu email address following Commencement.
- The Wheaton College Alumni Association will gift each graduate with an umbrella and rain poncho in case of rain (though we are praying fervently for sunny skies!).
- If parents want to honor their student(s) by placing a "Congratulations" yard sign in their lawn, they are invited to download a generic yard sign or a customizable yard sign and send it to a local print shop to be printed.
MOVING OUT DETAILS: Graduating seniors must be moved out of campus housing by noon on Monday, May 10 and families of seniors are welcome to assist in a COVID-safe manner. If parents are on campus for this purpose, they are welcome to take photos of their graduate if they follow the College’s COVID-Safe protocols (when outside, you can remain unmasked if you are six feet or more away from people not in your family and masked if you are closer than six feet). Please keep in mind that, due to State of Illinois guidance, groups will not be allowed to congregate on campus for large celebrations before, during, or after Commencement.
- Move out times are Saturday, May 8, noon – 9 p.m., Sunday, May 9, noon – 9 p.m., and Monday, May 10, 8 a.m. – noon. Campus housing closes to seniors at noon on Monday, May 10.
- Families are encouraged to quarantine and monitor symptoms before arriving on campus and all parents and siblings are required to wear face masks while in campus housing.
- Student meal plans end with dinner on Sunday night, so please plan accordingly.
Congratulations to the Class of 2021 and to their families!