Francis Umesiri, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Organic Chemistry
On Faculty since 2018
Dr. Francis E. Umesiri is an Organic Chemist, with emphasis on organic medicinal chemistry, broadly defined. He brings his passion for sound pedagogical methods and mentorship to teaching Organic Chemistry. Research in Umesiri laboratory is focused on Organic Medicinal Chemistry - the design, synthesis and biological evaluation of novel bioactive compounds, ranging from antimicrobial, anticancer, to neuroprotective agents against stroke and Alzheimer’s disease. Dr. Umesiri is committed to mentoring students in preclinical synthetic efforts, and preparation for graduate programs in Chemistry and Biochemistry. Before joining the faculty of Wheaton College, Dr. Umesiri was an Associate Professor of Chemistry at John Brown University.
For more information, visit Umesiri Chemistry Group
Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, with research focus in Medicinal Chemistry
University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
Master of Science in Chemistry, research focus in Medicinal Chemistry (cancer research)
Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry Education
University of Lagos
- Organic Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Drug Design and Development
- Chemical Education
- American Chemical Society – Member
- National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers (NOBCChE) – Member
- Umesiri FE, Funk J, Lick A, Fricke C, Nathaniel TI. Boronic-aurone Derivatives as Anti-Tubercular Agents: Design, Synthesis and Biological Evaluation. Med Chem 2015, 5: 437-441. doi: 10.4172/2161-0444.1000297.
- Umesiri, F.E., Lick A., Fricke C., Funk J., Nathaniel T. Anti-tubercular Activity of EDTA and Household Chemicals against Mycobacterium smegmatis, a Surrogate for Multi-drug Resistant Tuberculosis. European Scientific Journal, 2015, 11 (21), 133- 149.
- Nathaniel, T. I., Umesiri, Francis, Reifler, G., Haley, K., Dziopa, L., Glukhoy, J. and Dani, R. “Physiological Neuroprotective Mechanisms in Natural Genetic Systems: Therapeutic Clues for Hypoxia-Induced Brain Injuries” In Brain Injury – Pathogenesis, Monitoring, Recovery and Management, A. Agrawal (ed.), InTech, 2012
- Umesiri F.E., Sanki A.K., Boucau J., Ronning D.R., Sucheck S.J. Recent Advances towards the Synthesis of mAG and LAM Synthesis in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Medicinal Research Reviews 2010, 30, 2, 290-326
- Aditiya S.K., Boucau J., Umesiri F.E., Ronning D.R., Sucheck S.J. Design, Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Sugar-derived Esters, α-Ketoesters and α-Ketoamides as inhibitors for Mycobacterium tuberculosis Antigen 85C. Mol. BioSyst. 2009; 5, 945-956.
- Nathaniel T.I., Saras A., Umesiri F.E., Olajuyigbe F. Tolerance to Oxygen Nutrient Deprivation in the Hippocampal Slices of the Naked Mole Rats. J. Integr. Neurosci. 2009; 8, 123-136.
- Nathaniel T.I., Umesiri F.E., Olajuyigbe F. Role of M1 receptor in the locomotion behavior of the African mole-rat (Cryptomys sp). Neurosci. 2008; 7:1-16
- Nathaniel T.I., Umesiri F.E. Neuroethopharmacology of Locomotion: Effect of manipulating central M1 receptor on locomotion behavior of rats. JBNR 2008; 6: 1-9.
- Umesiri, F. E. April 2019. Oral Presentation at the American Chemical Society National Meeting, Orlando, FL, March 31- April 4, 2019. Title: “From Walmart to Target: Current initiatives to remove toxic chemicals from personal Care products”
- Umesiri, F. E., Eliza Hanson. April 2018. Poster Presentation at the Arkansas Academy of Science 102nd Annual Meeting, Arkansas State University, AR. Title: “Novel peptoids as antimicrobial agents.”
- Umesiri, F. E., Lexi Hall. June 2017. Poster Presentation at the Drug Discovery and Development Colloquium (DDDC 2017), University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR. Title: “Peptoids as antimicrobial agents.”
- Umesiri, F. E. July 2015. American Scientific Affiliation (ASA), Oral Roberts University, Tulsa, OK. Oral presentation titled: “Fasting: At the Intersection of Science and Listening Faith”
- Umesiri F. E. March 2014. Oral Presentation. “Understanding Classroom Goal Structure and Improving Students' Motivation to Learn.” 25th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Ponte Vedra, Florida.
- Umesiri F.E., Ashley Lick. November 2014. Oral Presentation: Title: Boronic aurones as anti-tuberculosis agents. By Ashley Lick. ARKANSAS INBRE Research Conference, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.
- Umesiri FE., Fricke C., Lick A. November 2014. Boronic-Aurones as MDM2 Antagonists: Potential Target for New Breast Cancer Agents. American Chemical Society Southwest Regional Conference, at Columbia, MO.
- Umesiri FE. Classroom Goal Structure and Students’ Motivation to Learn in Organic Chemistry. November 2013. American Chemical Society Southwest Regional Conference, Waco, Texas.
- Umesiri F. E., Lick A., Lochala J., Wright H., Garrison C. November 2013. Anti-tubercular Activity of EDTA and Household Chemicals against Mycobacterium smegmatis. American Chemical Society Southwest Regional Conference, Waco, Texas.
- Umesiri F.E., Sanki A.K., Boucau J., Ronning D.R., Sucheck S.J. 2009. Synthesis and biological evaluation of carbohydrate-based 1,2-dicarbonyl compounds as inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigen 85C. Oral Presentation at the 5th Midwest Carbohydrate and Glycobiology Symposium, Cleveland, OH
- Umesiri F.E., Sanki A.K., Boucau J., Ronning D.R., Sucheck S.J. 2009. Synthesis of Transition State Inhibitors of Antigen 85C. Oral Presentation at Mid-Atlantic Graduate Student Symposium (MAGSS) in Medicinal Chemistry held at the University of Toledo, OH
- Umesiri F.E., Sanki A.K., Boucau J., Ronning D.R., Sucheck S.J. 2008. Carbohydrate-based Inhibitors of Antigen 85: A Potential Target for Development of Anti-tubercular Drugs. 2008. A poster Presentation at the American Chemical Society Annual Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Umesiri F.E., Sanki A.K., Boucau J., Ronning D.R., Sucheck S.J. 2008. Synthesis and biological evaluation of transition state inhibitors of antigen 85. A poster presentation at the Sigma Xi Student Research day, University of Toledo, OH
- Umesiri F.E. 2007. Synthesis of 5-Arylidene-2,3-Disubstituted-4-Thiazolidone Derivatives with CDK2 Inhibitory Activity, As Anti-Proliferative Agents. (Non-dissertation Original Research Proposal presented at the Chemistry Department, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH.
Organic Chemistry: A Big Picture Approach, by Francis E. Umesiri & Steven Sucheck A new student-centric and skill-based organic chemistry textbook. Kendall Hunt Publishing – Higher Education (2021). Currently in progress.