This essay contest recognizes outstanding research papers about Shakespeare and Christianity written by Wheaton College undergraduates. This contest is sponsored by the E. Beatrice Batson Shakespeare Society and takes place annually in the spring semester.
Award winners receive substantial prizes: $500 for first place; prize money for second place or honorable mentions varies. Award-winning essays are also published in Wheaton Writing: A Journal of Academic Essays alongside award-winning essays from the Jameson Critical Essay Contest and the Jameson First-Year Writing Contest.
- The essay must richly address at least one of Shakespeare’s works (e.g, a poem or play).
- The essay should be written from a distinctly Christian perspective (e.g., engaging the Bible, Christian history, theology, or a Biblical worldview).
- The essay should be persuasive and should cite mutiple scholarly secondary sources.
- The essay must be original, written by the student submitting the essay.
- Only one essay per student per year may be submitted.
- An essay cannot win both a Jameson Critical Essay Contest prize and an E. Beatrice Batson Shakespeare Essay Contest prize.
- The essay should not include the author’s name. Instead, it should include the student’s ID number.
- Submit the essay using this Google Form: https://forms.gle/tVoxZ5tYPrkNVJa76
Essay submissions are due by 11:59 PM on Monday, May 1, 2023. Questions? Email Shakespeare.email@example.com