Wheaton logo 2020 color version also for mobile

Financial Aid Eligibility

The following requirements must be met in order to receive U.S. federal financial aid for your graduate school education.

Requirements for Federal Financial Aid Eligibility 

To be eligible for U.S. federal financial aid, you must:

  • have a high school diploma or a GED certificate, or pass a test approved by the U.S. Dept. of Education
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program or eligible certificate program
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (see definition below) 
  • have a valid social security number
  • register with the Selective Service if required (you can use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA] to register)
  • maintain satisfactory progress once in school

Eligible Non-Citizens

Eligible non-citizens are defined as:

  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C

Other Eligible Applicants

If you are not in one of the above categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible:

  • "Refugee"
  • "Asylum Granted"
  • "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

You Are NOT Eligible for Federal Financial Aid If . . .

  • You have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464)
  • You are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only
  • You have a G series visa

Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal Work Study. These applicants should check with the Financial Aid Office for more information.