Alex Haskins, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Politics and International Relations
Born in Okinawa, but a native of St. Louis, Dr. Haskins first discovered the field of political theory in college. His teaching and research interests in the field have been sustained over the years by a deeply felt need to grapple with the complex histories of imperialism, colonialism, and Christianity in the modern world--particularly in Africa, the Americas, and Asia--and what implications such grappling might have for global justice, international law, development, multiculturalism, and global missions. He is currently revising his book manuscript on domination in the political thought of Montesquieu (1689-1755), Fukuzawa Yukichi (1835-1901), and W.E.B. DuBois (1868-1963).
The University of Chicago
Ph.D., Political Science, 2020
M.A., Political Science, 2015
M.T.S., Religion, Ethics and Politics and East Asian Religions, 2013
B.A., Government & Legal Studies and Asian Studies, 2011
- History of Political Thought (Asian, European, and African diasporic)
- Modern Political Thought
- Global and Comparative Political Theory
- Imperialism & Colonialism
- International Law & Legal Thought
- Religion & Politics
- American Political Science Association (APSA)
- Association for Political Theory (APT)
- Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora (ASWAD)
- Association for Asian Studies (AAS)
- Alex Haskins, "Montesquieu's Paradoxical Spirit of Moderation: on the Making of Asian Despotism in De l'esprit des lois," Political Theory 46.6 (December 2018).
Alex Haskins, “Leaders Fit for the Masses”: Du Bois and Japan’s Transnational Democratic Leadership,” Du Bois Review 21 (2024).
Review of Handbook of Confucianism in Modern Japan edited by Shaun O’Dwyer, Journal of Confucian Philosophy and Culture 40 (August 2023).
Review of Montesquieu: Let There Be Enlightenment by Catherine Volpilhac-Auger and translated by Philip Stewart, Perspectives on Politics 21.4 (December 2023).
Note: for course syllabi, see my personal website (under the "links" tab).
- African Politics
- Black Political Thought
- Chinese Political Thought
- East Meets West
- International Law
- Political Philosophy
- Politics of the African Diaspora
- Politics of the Caribbean
- Spirit of the Laws
- W.E.B. Du Bois
- Food: BBQ/Southern, Jamaican, Korean, Mexican
- Media: anime/manga, fighting games, K-dramas, Marvel cinema
- Music: R&B/Soul, Jazz, Chillhop/Lo-Fi, Reggaeton
- Sports: Tennis, Ping-pong, Swimming, Baseball
- Teas: jasmine, mint, oolong, lemon