The Fellowship Program of HoneyRock
One year of purposeful vocational discernment, spiritual formation, and leadership development for college graduates at The HoneyRock Center for Leadership Development of Wheaton College.
What are Fellows?
Fellows are a team of college graduates seeking to personally develop and purposefully invest in Vanguard Gap Year students. Fellows generally share a common interest in student or resident life and a desire to grow and develop individually as they serve and lead others in the outdoor context.
The Fellows Program includes:
- All Fellows positions are paid 9-month positions, with housing and meals provided (Late August - Early May)
- Personal spiritual formation experiences and opportunities to seek out personal discipleship/mentorship
- Immersive vocational discernment
- Participation in HoneyRock's Leadership Development Progression
- An environment focused on communal living and intentional Christian community
What does a Fellow do?
- Fellows are responsible for cultivating an environment that fosters community through caring relationships, an attitude of service, as well as providing logistical and detail support to Vanguard students.
- This team of staff works to create a relationally and physically safe place for Vanguards to be supported and challenged to engage in authentic relationships in order to live out the body of Christ and grow in His likeness.
- All Fellows positions involve leading, mentoring, and providing support to Vanguard Gap Year students.
- One of the primary ways you will be leading, mentoring, and supporting Vanguards is through their work tracks. As a Fellow, you will have one primary work area (listed below) - spending 4 days/week in this role.
Work Roles for Fellows
The Construction Fellow will report to HoneyRock's Construction Manager and will lead Vanguards in special projects and general upkeep of buildings. In the past two years, special projects have included, but are not limited to:demoing the old Health Center to the studs and renovating it into a cabin, building a new Health Center from the ground up, giving our indoor climbing wall a refresh, lifting a staff cabin off a concrete slab to improve circulation, and more!
Familiarity or skill with construction and operational equipment preferred, but not mandatory.
As the name suggests, Program Fellows will work most closely with the program elements of the Vanguard Gap Year. These Fellows will report directly to the Vanguard Gap Year Program Manager to develop the Vanguard community through events, learning seminars, and managing logistics.
This position looks to hire two (2) Fellows, male (1) and female (1).
The Guest Services Fellow works with our Guest Services Coordinator to maintain a clean facility and steward the buildings and paces around HoneyRock. You'll gain training and practical experience in hospitality services, learning and running the systems and processes used to keep guest facilities in excellent condition.
The Media & Marketing Fellow works with Vanguards and the HoneyRock Marketing Specialist to tell the stories of HoneyRock through photography, videography, writing, social media, web design, and more.
Fellows in this position will receive training in the above-mentioned responsibilities and other skills, as needed, for the type of creative projects you are inspired and expected to produce alongside the Vanguard students.
Familiarity with or skills within the responsibilities listed above is preferred but not mandatory.
The kitchen assistants work alongside HoneyRock's Head Chef and Sous Chef to prepare and serve 3 meals a day for a community that ranges in size from 30-300 per meal shift. You'll be trained in meal planning, ordering goods, and meal preparation - you'll have significant responsibilities in these areas! The role also includes stewardship of the kitchen facilities, including cleaning and basic maintenance.
Familiarity or skill in a professional kitchen setting is preferred, but not required.
The Auto Shop Fellow leads Vanguards in a variety of skills and projects related to equipment repair and maintenance. They service the many vehicles around HoneyRock, ranging from "yard goats" (on-site maintenance vehicles) to 12-passenger vans. The Auto Shop Fellow works alongside the Site & Facilities teams to keep all machinery in working order.
Familiarity or skill with auto maintenance and operational equipment preferred, but not mandatory.
The Grounds Fellow works alongside our Site and Facilities staff to provide grounds care for over 900 acres of property, maintenance of facilities, and upkeep of activity areas. You'll receive training and experience in forestry, sustainability, and year-round trail maintenance.
Familiarity or skill with construction equipment and operational equipment is preferred, but not mandatory.
As the Equestrian Fellow, you'll lead Vanguards in all things HoneyRock-herd related. This includes barn chores, maintenance of the barn facility and related equipment, leading trail rides, assisting with sleigh rides, and helping meet the daily needs of 20 horses. When not working directly with the equestrian program, the Equestrian Fellow supports the site and facility team with snow removal and activity area maintenance. This role will spend the majority of their time outside!
Previous riding experience is preferred, but not required.
Want to learn more before you apply?
We'd love to connect with you and get you up to speed on what the Fellows Program is all about.
Hit the link below to get the conversation started.