Jazz at Wheaton offers a wide variety of performance opportunities to give you practical musical training grounded in the authentic articulation of the jazz language.
The Jazz Ensemble rehearses Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7:00 to 8:30pm in Edman 102. Combo rehearsals are on Wednesday evenings.
Katie Ernst is the Jazz Ensemble director. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jazz Performances at Wheaton
All tickets are available only at the door. The cost is $10 for general admission, $5 for seniors over 60, and free to all students and Wheaton Family with ID. For more information, call the Conservatory of Music at 630.752.5099
Jazz Ensemble Concert
Thursday, November 15, 7:30 – 9:30pm
Location: Billy Graham Center 105 Barrows Auditorium
Jazz Combo Concert
Wednesday, March 27, 7:30 – 9:30pm
Location: Armerding Center for Music and the Arts 132 Recital Hall
Jazz Ensemble Concert
Friday, March 29, 7:30 – 9:30pm
Location: Edman Chapel Auditorium
Wheaton Jazz Ensemble (big band, approx 18 members)
Showcase and Green Mill Combos (5-7 members each)
- 2 Alto Saxophones (clarinet and flute doubles preferred)
- 2 Tenor Saxophones (clarinet and flute doubles preferred)
- 1 Baritone Saxophone (clarinet and flute doubles preferred)
- 4 Trumpets / 4 Trombones
- Piano / Guitar / Upright Bass / Drums & Percussion
- Instrumentation varies based on audition results
- Clinics with visiting jazz musicians
Past clinicians include saxophonists John Wojciechowski, Jarrard Harris, and Artie Black, Dr. Ron Carter, trumpeter Marquis Hill, saxophonist Caroline Davis, trumpeter Victor Garcia, drummer Joel Spencer, and many more!
- Performances with touring jazz musicians
Guest artists have included Dana Hall, Mike Lee & New Tricks, John Raymond Trio, and the Luke Gillespie Trio.
- Trips to hear world-class jazz in Chicago
Jazz outings include trips to the Chicago Jazz Festival, The Jazz Showcase and Symphony Center Jazz concerts.
- Recording experience at WETN
Combos record annually in spaces such as Wheaton's studios and the Chicago Recording Company.
- Collaborative workshops with other Chicago-area jazz ensembles
- Additional performances at The Stupe and at Chapel
Auditions will include a prepared excerpt from the big band repertoire (provided once audition has been scheduled), sight-reading, and an optional improvisation of over 12-bar blues (C, F or Bb). Students are also encouraged to perform a prepared tune or written excerpt. Students will be placed in ensembles based on ability and ensemble needs.
Note: Students do NOT need be a music major to audition, and do not need to re-audition once they have been accepted into the ensemble.
Please email Katie Ernst to sign up in advance: email@example.com
Develop your sound and improvisational method through one-on-one study with our outstanding roster of private teachers. To enroll in private study, visit the Conservatory office in McAlister Hall (2nd Floor) and send an email to your instructor of choice:
- James Davis, jazz trumpet & combos: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Katie Ernst, jazz bass: email@example.com
- Mike Bazan, jazz saxophone: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bradley Williams, jazz piano & vocals: email@example.com
- Steve Ramsdell, jazz guitar: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lucas Gillan, jazz drums: email@example.com