What is the Wheaton College Summer Institute?
Applications for Summer 2023 will open on
January 23, 2023
If you would like to inquire about Summer 2023 (June 18th -July 1st) please request more information and we'll get back to you.
The Wheaton College Summer Institute (WCSI) is a premier pre-college program where you'll join outstanding high school students like you for academic study, artistic expression, leadership training, and spiritual development with world-class Christian faculty -- all on the beautiful campus of Wheaton College. You'll even earn college credit. And you'll have a ton of fun.
The Wheaton College Summer Institute typically occurs during the last two weeks of June. The Summer 2022 program ran from June 19 to July 2. We had a fantastic inaugural year!
Who Should Come to the Wheaton College Summer Institute?
The Wheaton College Summer Institute is perfect for you if you are an outstanding rising high school sophomore, junior, or senior looking for a pre-college summer program that will prepare you for college life and academic work, as well as offer opportunities to grow in your faith.
Experience life as a Wheaton College Conservatory student. Study with our faculty in private lessons, master classes, and chamber ensemble experiences, attend faculty recitals and student performances, and explore the Chicago arts scene.
What Makes the WCSI Stand Out from Other High School Summer Programs?
Unlike some college summer programs for high school students, the WCSI offers you the chance to actually live on campus and immerse yourself in the college experience - including staying in a residence hall, attending events and lectures, eating in our top-ranked dining commons, and learning in person from excellent Wheaton College faculty alongside students from around the world.
Rising Juniors and Seniors can choose from an exciting menu of courses from a wide variety of academic disciplines such as
- Bible and theology
- natural sciences
- business and economics
- language studies
Rising Sophomores can join the Academic Enrichment Program.
- Explore a variety of subjects
- Hear lectures and participate in class discussions with world class faculty
- No homework or assessments
While at the WCSI, rising Juniors and Seniors take a college-level class with our exceptional faculty and get 2 college credits that will give you a head start in your college journey.
WCSI course credits will apply to elective degree requirements at Wheaton College; if transferred, they are also likely to meet elective degree requirements at other colleges/universities, but we advise checking with a college of your interest to confirm transferability. Note: course credit and grade will be provided on an official Wheaton College transcript.
The Academic Enrichment Program, for rising Sophomores, does not earn college credit.
If you are a rising senior participating in WCSI, you may apply for Wheaton College Admission through an expedited pre-early action application, and we’ll waive your application fee. You will also be notified of an admission decision through our Early Action I timeline!
All WCSI alumni who successfully pass their Summer Institute course, and ultimately apply and enroll to the College as a first-year freshman student, will receive a $500 WCSI Scholarship renewable for four years. This $2,000 scholarship will be in addition to any other Wheaton Academic Scholarship and/or grant that may be awarded.
WCSI is one of the best values you'll find for a college summer program for high school students. Unlike other programs, we offer an affordable, residential and in-person, distinctly Christian program, taught by faculty experts.
Explore two of Shakespeare's greatest plays with English and Arena Theater faculty, including a tour of the Batson Shakespeare Collection and a performance of the Chicago Shakespeare Theater.
- Currently a rising high school sophomore, junior, or senior
- Strong academic record (a transcript is required)
- Letter of recommendation
- Apply early to secure course selection
- Applicants should have their high school transcript sent to WCSI@wheaton.edu
Cost of the Wheaton College Summer Institute Includes:
- Two weeks stay in a Wheaton College residence hall
- 38 meals in our top-ranked dining commons
- One College-level course with our renowned faculty and associated college credit hours (for rising juniors and seniors) or the Academic Enrichment Program (for rising sophomores)
- Support from our knowledgeable staff for every part of your college application journey
- Expedited application to Wheaton College (pending successful program completion)
- Wheaton College application fee waiver
Scholarships are available for students who meet the following qualifications:
- You do not need to receive these benefits and need only to be eligible to receive them.
- You are enrolled in or eligible to participate in the federal free or reduced-price lunch program
- Your parent(s) qualified for an Earned Income Tax Credit in the most recently filed tax return
- Contact the Wheaton College Summer Institute Office for further information on providing verification of qualification
Wheaton College provides a COVID-safe living and learning environment so that our students can continue their studies on campus during the pandemic. At this time, Wheaton does not require but does encourage students to keep current with CDC vaccination recommendations. The WCSI will follow Wheaton College COVID-safe protocols, and we will update parents and accepted WCSI students closer to the summer session with any necessary details.
Apply or Request Information
We invite you to join our mailing list to get the most up-to-date information about WCSI, or if you're ready, apply today!