School Year Programs Director
On Staff since 2011
- Areas of Interest
- Classes Taught
- Professional Affiliations
- Presentations and Event Appearances
I grew up in Rochester, Minnesota, before attending Wheaton College for my undergraduate and graduate degrees. As I pursued my Masters in Intercultural Studies at Wheaton I learned that working in an outdoor educational environment was the ideal fit for me.
It was at Wheaton that I learned about HoneyRock. I decided to begin my HoneyRock experience by becoming a Wrangler at the Barn. Seven summers later, I had worked in a variety of roles (Barn, Operations, Activity Staff), met and married my wife Laura in the Chrouser Dining Hall at HoneyRock. We have 4 wonderful children—Lucie, Greta, Ezra, and Judah.
As School Year Program Director, I have the opportunity to work with and serve Vanguard Gap Year students, HoneyRock Fellows, Graduate Assistants and Guests/Retreats. Being a part of the development of our students has been one great joys of my life and our school year programming context has become a powerful learning environment.
What excites me about working at HoneyRock as the School Year Programs Director is the opportunity to develop students in a context where they have a year to experience the wonders of Creation, the authenticity of community, and the plethora of service and experiential opportunities. I have had similar experiences here at HoneyRock and cannot wait to walk alongside others in their spiritual and developmental journeys.
Wheaton College Graduate School
M.A. Intercultural Studies, 2013
B.A. Education and Social Studies, 2008
- Spiritual Formation
- Leadership Development
- Gap Year Programming
- Cross-Cultural Engagement
- Identity Development in Emerging Adults
- Experiential Education
- CFM 131 Introduction to Spiritual Formation (2)
- CFM 121 Backpacking and Orienteering (1)
- CFM 259 Christian Community and Practice (4)
- OAL 664 Gap Year Programming (2)
- OAL 694 Vocation and Calling (2)
- Christian Camp and Conference Association
- Global Symposium on Experiential Leadership Development: Exploring College and Camp Partnerships. March 2013. Wheaton College.
How to talk with a High School Senior who is reconsidering fall plans. April, 2020 - The Exchange.
Why so many high schoolers are considering a Gap year. April, 2020 - The Exchange.