Study Spanish language and culture in Spain!
Summer study in Salamanca, Spain offers courses in advanced Spanish language and civilization for both language majors and non-majors. Language courses are taught by native Spanish instructors; civilization courses are taught by Wheaton faculty. Students live in Spanish homes for one month. The program includes two weeks of touring; sites visited may include Madrid, El Escorial, Toledo, Granada, Córdoba, Sevilla, Mérida, Segovia, Avila, León, Santiago de Compostela, Bilbao and other locations of interest. The final week in Barcelona includes a service project with national Christians.
- Sponsoring Department: Foreign Languages
- Program Leader(s): Professor Sharenda Barlar, Dr. Arielle Akines, and Dr. Christine Kepner
- Term:Summer 2022 (offered alternate summers)
- Orientation Sessions: Spring Semester - B Quad
- Program Dates: May 17- July 11, 2022
- Deadline: December 10, 2021
- Estimated Cost: $7,395 (airfare not included) Spanish for Business can be taken for an additional $1,450 ($725 per credit).
- Prerequisites: Students must have completed SPAN 331: Spanish Conversation; it is recommended that students complete SPAN 332: Advanced Grammar and Composition. Students must register for the Spring Semester B-quad class SPAN 352: Orientation to Spain - Country Study (2 credit hours).
- Eligibility: Open to Wheaton College students in good standing
- Highlights: The program, offered alternate summers, gives students the opportunity for language and cultural immersion in Spain.
Program offering is subject to internal approval, minimum enrollment, and ongoing evaluation of local conditions, including enhanced health and safety reviews in light of COVID-19
All students earn 8 credit hours; for an additional fee, students can take Business Spanish for 2 credit hours. The courses offered meet requirements for the Spanish major and minor.
- SPAN 338: Intensive Advanced Spanish Language (4 credit hours)
Advanced grammar, conversation, and composition taught by native speakers in a Spanish university setting.
- SPAN 334: Spanish Civilization and Culture (4 credit hours)
On-site study of Spanish history, architecture, art, politics, and society.
Optional Course: (students may choose to enroll in the course; an additional per credit hour tuition fee is charged at the standard summer tuition rate for Wheaton College)
- SPAN 495: Spanish for Business (2 credit hours)
For students that want to improve their Spanish communication skills for a professional environment.
This program fulfills the study abroad requirement for the Spanish major at Wheaton College.
The estimated program fee includes 8 credit hours of tuition, group land transport in Spain, excursions, entrance fees, lodging, and meals. Spanish for Business can be taken for an additional $1,450 ($725 per credit).
Estimated Additional Expenses: Students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, books, metropasses in Barcelona, and any personal expenses and souvenirs. Please note that students who need a more substantive lunch during the 28 days of travel should budget enough to supplement the 10 Euro (approximately $11.00 US) lunch allowance provided by the program. We recommend that students budget approximately $300 for personal expenses/souvenirs.
How to Apply
To apply, visit GoGlobal, Wheaton College's registration system for off-campus study and international travel, research, and internships.