Coming with topics and questions will help you get the conversation going.
For Advisees: Questions to Ask
- What is your advice for someone moving to the area (good churches, places to live, ways to get connected, etc)?
- How did you choose a grad school program?
- What advice would you give your college self? What advice would you give a graduating senior?
- What are the most important skills for success in this field?
- I’m intrigued by ____ job. Could you tell me what a day-in-the-life is like?
- How do you see your faith play out in your work environment?
- How do you strike a good work-life balance?
- What kind of training and experience do you need to get into this field?
- What is one thing you have learned from living abroad?
- What books, journals, or classes would you recommend?
- What was your first job after college?
For Advisers: Topics to Discuss
You can play a pivotal role in equipping students and young alumni for life after college in any or all of the following ways:
- Discuss how your education prepared you for your career
- Ask questions about an advisee's gifts and passions
- Share information about a current event or issue in your field
- Recommend helpful networking strategies
- Introduce your advisee to colleagues or other contacts
- Offer guidance on where to look for job/internships in your field
- Critique your advisee's resume and/or cover letter
- Lead your advisee through a mock interview
Mentoring Relationships: Expectations to Set
Remember: Mentees should ask their mentor to walk alongside them over the next six months (or period of time they both agree on) as they pursue a specific goal. Both parties should plan to interact together at least two hours per month.
Agree on Expectations
- When and how will you contact each other?
- Who will initiate the meetings and interactions?
- How often will you meet / interact?
- If meetings do not occur as expected, how will you respond (what actions will you take)?
- Do you have any other expectations / concerns not mentioned above?
Agree on Goals
- What are your goals for this mentoring relationship?
- What actions can you and your mentor/mentee take to achieve these goals?