To Wheaton College Students
The Wheaton College Counseling Center (WCCC) has transitioned to a telemental health model. This means that, counseling services will be held either via phone or through video conferencing. There will be no counseling sessions conducted within the Counseling Center itself until further notice.
The Counseling Center is able to accommodate students who reside in the State of Illinois through a telemental health format. If your particular counselor is unable to provide this service for any reason, you will be transferred to another counselor who can provide video conferencing for you. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a referral or to schedule an appointment with the Counseling Center.
Wheaton College is providing a telehealth service called Campus.Health until August 1, 2020. All domestic and international students will be able to talk to a mental health provider 24/7 for any mental health need.
If you desire to find a therapist on your own
- Contact your medical provider, if you are currently at your permanent residence, as they often have a list of therapists that they refer their patients to.
- Look up NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) in your area and see what services they are offering that you could participate in.
- If you do not have a regular medical provider and/or do not have medical insurance, you can look up your local health department and see what their mental health offerings are.
- If you live in an area with other colleges and universities, call their counseling centers to ask for their local off-campus referral list.
- One of our campus partners, Meier Clinics, has locations in eight different states. There may be one near you.
In an emergency
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, you will need to call Wheaton College Public Safety at 630-752-5911. Public safety will expediently contact the counselor on-call to assist you. Other options for a mental health emergency are as follows:
- Call 911
- Go to your local emergency room
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital (CDH)
25 North Winfield Rd
Winfield, IL 60190
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255
- Text the Crisis Text Line at 741741