As we celebrate Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month and navigate current U.S. events, we invite you to learn more about the Asian, Asian American, Pacific Islander community's unique experiences through the recommended resources listed below.
Wheaton Faculty AAPI Publications
Dr. Henry H. Kim
'America' in Colonial Korea: A Vantage Point for Capitalist Modernity, Positions: Asia Critique 26.4
Kim, Hanmee Na, November 2018
- The Meanings of America in Modern Korea: A Study of Korean Diplomatic, Cultural, and Intellectual Engagements with America, 1852-1945, UCLA, 2014
How the Model Minority Thesis Became a Transcendent Meaning, Christian Scholar's Review
Kim, Henry H. 2014.
- Asian Americans, Encyclopedia of Immigrant Health,
Kim, Henry H. 2012.
Dr. Karen An-Hwei Lee
- 2018 “Thirteen Ways of Looking at Kombucha and Xenophobia" & "Dear Tokubetsu, or the Octopus Jar as a Broken Heart." Cosmonauts Avenue. Web. 2018 “Dear Millennium, a Nocturne of Questions.” Third Coast. Western Michigan University. Print.
- 2017 “Blue Soliloquy vs. Xenophobia.” Meridians: feminism, race, transnationalism 16.1: 37. Smith College. Northampton, Massachusetts. University of Indiana Press. Print.
- 2017 "X is not for Xenophobia in Mandarin" and "A Wind Machine for Oranges Up North." 8-West Press. Web.
- 2014 “X is for Xenophobia.” The Missouri Review. Poem of the Week. 14 April 2014. University of Missouri. Web.
- 2013 “Dear Xenophobia,” “Dear Sor Juana,” “On the Autobiographical Injunction of Persimmons,” “Kafka Faces up to His Old Flames,” and “On Lilies and Cyclamen.” So To Speak: A Feminist Journal of Language and Art Summer 2013: 26-31. George Mason University. Print.
2008 “Lines from Here to Asia.” Blue Mesa Review 20: 40. University of New Mexico. Print.
Dr. Michael Hakmin Lee
Interdisciplinary Reflections on the Resilience of Racial Constructs, Missiology 44 (2): 194-206. Lee, Michael Hakmin. 2016.
Lee, Michael Hakmin. The Exchange Blog with Ed Stetzer. October 3, 2017. https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2017/september/understanding-worldview-and-flag.html
Lee, Michael Hakmin. The Exchange Blog with Ed Stetzer. July 10, 2017. https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2017/july/race-and-ethnicity.html
Lee, Michael Hakmin. The Exchange Blog with Ed Stetzer. May 26, 2017. https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2017/may/prejudice-and-discrimination-why-we-cant-keep-covering-them.html
Dr. Yousaf Sadiq
- The Contextualized Psalms (Punjabi Zabur)
A Precious Heritage of the Global Punjabi Christian Community
Psalms as bridge-building between Christians and Muslims, Evangelical Quarterly, 2019
Jesus’ Encounter with a Woman at the Well: A South Asian Perspective, Missiology: An International Review, 2018
A Precious Gift: The Punjabi Psalms and the Legacy of Rev. Dr. Imam-ud-Din Shahbaz, International Bulletin of Missionary Research, 2014
Bible Translation in Pakistan, The Oxford Encyclopedia of South Asian Christianity, 2010
- Ms. Lani Wendt Young: Afakasi Woman
- Ms. Yoshika Uchida: The Invisible Thread
- Mr. Epeli Hau’ofa: Tales of the Tikongs
- Ms. Ellen D. Wu: The Color of Success: Asian Americans and the Origins of the Model Minority
- Mr. Frank Wu: Yellow: Race in America Beyond Black and White
- Ms. Kristiana Kahakauwila: This is Paradise
- Ms. Erika Lee: The Making of Asian America: A History
- Ms. Grace Ji-Sun Kim: Embracing the Other: The Transformative Spirit of Love
Activism and Advocacy
- Stop AAPI Hate
- Free Training for Bystander Intervention
- Asian American Christian Collaborative (AACC): Nativism Strikes Back
- AACC: Halting Immigration Hurts America
- AACC: Upstream and Downstream the River of Justice
Mindfulness and Mental Health
- Mindful.org: Getting Started
- Videos: Therapy Assistance Online
- Mindfulness Resources in Japanese: Mindful Heart Center
- American Psychological Association: Model Minority Myth and Mental Health Research Study
Recommended Ethnic and Racial Awareness
- The New York Times: Responding to Microaggressions
- W.E.B. Dubois: Double Consciousness
- Dr. Charles Liu: The False Shalom of Colorblindness
- The New York Times: Race/Related Newsletter
- The Asian American Christian Collaborative
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
- Mark 10:43-44
- Philippians 2:3
- Isaiah 51:5
- Proverbs 2:7-9
- 1 Corinthians 12:18
- Amos 5:24
- Romans 15:7
- Matthew 28:19
- Psalm 106:3