Gain the skills you need for leading outdoor adventure ministry through an intensive ten week training course and leadership practicum.
- Participate in an intensive ten week wilderness training and practicum experience in the beautiful Northwoods of Wisconsin. Trip locations include premier Midwest wilderness destinations such as:
- Boundary Waters (MN)
- Sawtooth Mountains (MN)
- Apostle Island (WI)
- Pictured Rocks (MI)
- Receive six weeks of industry-standard training and professional development in the areas of: wilderness leadership, outdoor skills training, facilitative leadership and adventure ministry taught by Wheaton College professors and staff.
- Put your training into practice and build your leadership experience through a four week adventure ministry practicum working with high school students.
- Lead the Wheaton College freshman orientation program for incoming freshman called Wheaton Passage through a three week wilderness excursion.
- Obtain a Wilderness First Responder certification and either ACA Coastal Kayaking or ACA River Canoeing Trip Leader certification.
- Option to earn 4-12 credit hours from Wheaton College.
For your leadership practicum, you will serve as a cabin leader for a small group of high school students during the four weeks of HoneyRock’s 2:22 program, which uses an 8-day wilderness trip, in-camp activities, and service opportunities to challenge high school students with what it means to follow Jesus Christ. This experience gives you the opportunity to put your training into practice in a real ministry environment, while continuing your intentional development through focused feedback and reflection.
The Wheaton Passage program focuses on preparing incoming Wheaton students for college. Staff who remain at HoneyRock after the SALT program finishes will serve as leaders for the Wilderness track of Passage, mentoring students in their transition to college by engaging them in the areas of spiritual formation, identity, community, service, and worship.
HoneyRock is located in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, on a chain of 28 lakes within the Nicolet National Forest. Our trip locations include some of the coolest Midwest wilderness areas. Where is your adventure going to be this summer?
- Boundary Waters Canoe Area (northern Minnesota)
- Sawtooth Mountains (North Shore of Lake Superior)
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (near Bayfield, WI)
- Picture Rocks National Lakeshore (near Munising, MI)
- North Country Trail—Trap Hills area (near Ewen, MI)
- Sylvania Wilderness Area (near Watersmeet, MI)