Vanguard Assistants (VA) are a team of college graduates seeking to personally develop and purposefully invest in Vanguard Gap Year students. Vanguard Assistants generally share a common interest in student or resident life and a desire to grow and develop individually as they serve and lead others in the outdoor context. All VA positions share 3 common purposes: personal development, leadership development, and vocational discernment. All VA positions involve leading, mentoring, and providing support to Vanguards through their gap year experience at HoneyRock, the Outdoor Center for Leadership Development of Wheaton College.
The Vanguard Assistants are full-time seasonal employees who work under the supervision of the HoneyRock Vanguard Program Manager and Graduate Assistant. VA’s are responsible for cultivating an environment that fosters community through caring relationships, an attitude of service, as well as providing logistical and detail support to Vanguard Students. This staff works to create a relationally and physically safe place for Vanguard Students to be supported and challenged to engage in authentic relationships in order to live out the body of Christ and grow in His likeness.
As a member of the HoneyRock staff team, fulfill the mission, vision, and core values of HoneyRock and Wheaton College.
- Engagement: Be an active member in Vanguard Staff meetings, retreats and in-service training for the purpose of planning, information sharing, support, personal, professional and community development.
- Growth and development of Vanguards: Encouraging growth toward wholeness in Christ as well as maturity in thought, speech, and behavior in their understanding of living together as members of Christ’s body.
- Relational and community development: Cultivate relationships with each Vanguard by planning regular community-building events and concentrated relationship time.
- Overall program planning and coordination: Meet weekly with the Program Manager and Graduate Assistant for further training, mentoring and support.
- Trip facilitation: Assist and plan 3 cultural immersion experiences to the Dominican Republic, an urban environment, and a 6-day backpacking trip.
- Logistical support: Driving Vanguards to and from various activities and events, building care and reporting maintenance needs, communicating information that is relevant to program.
- Leading a team: lead, develop, and empower a student-led committee that benefits and edifies the greater HoneyRock community.
- Policies and procedures: hold students accountable to follow the policies and procedures of HoneyRock and of Wheaton College.
- Supervision: supervise the Residence Hall as a Vanguard team.
- Complete other necessary tasks as assigned by the Vanguard Graduate Assistant and/or Program Manager
- Evidence of Christian character and commitment.
- Passion and excitement for Discipleship Ministry.
- Understand, support, and enforce the Community Covenant.
- Communication, leadership, and management skills.
- Past experience and training in student development in college as Resident Assistant, Discipleship Coordinator, or similar role.
- Desire to encourage students to become more like Christ.
- Ability to relate to students and staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Able to pass Wheaton driving test and requirements.
- Previous experience in camp, adventure, or outdoor-related ministries.
- Willingness & ability to be flexible with the needs of the job.
It's simple! Just create an account and click on the School Year application to start the process.
Questions? Please call or email Charlie Goeke (Vanguard Program Manager): (715)479-7474 ext. 231 / email@example.com