Wheaton College Graduate School
Associate Professor of Intercultural StudiesOn Faculty since 2011
Ph.D., (Human & Community Development)
University of Illinois, Urbana, 1998
M.S., (Human & Community Development)
University of Illinois, Urbana, 1992
B.A., (Psychology) Blackburn College, 1985
About Susan Greener
Susan has invested in work and research with children-at-risk for over two decades in universities and Christian non-governmental organizations. She has served in global development work as a programming leader for Mission of Mercy and Compassion International, working with children and youth living in extreme poverty in more than 30 nations. She has also served in the academy as a researcher in emotional intelligence and health behavior at Yale University, an Assistant Professor and Executive Director of an Early Head Start program while at Berry College, and a Dean of Students for Trinity Evangelical Divinity and Graduate Schools. She is passionate about resourcing the church to engage in transformational and holistic ministry, particularly with children and families in difficult circumstances.
She has been married to Jay, rector of Church of the Redeemer in Highland Park, since 1981 and has three grown children and two daughters-in-law (Jonathan and Emily, Caitlin, and Nicholas and Lauren) and one grandchild (Owen). When not working she can usually be found with her nose in a novel, solving a crossword puzzle, spending time with her family, playing with pets or small children or laughing with friends.
- INTR 536: Theology of Development in Global Perspective
- INTR 552: Perspectives on Gender and Leadership in Cross-Cultural Contexts
- INTR 561: Intercultural Communication
- INTR 572: Cross-Cultural Research Methods
- INTR 621A:Principles of Community Development
- INTR 621: Transformational Development
- INTR 622: Cross-Cultural Human Development
- INTR 623: Families in International Settings
- INTR 624: Mission to Children and Youth-at-Risk
- INTR 691: Intercultural Studies Departmental Forum
Membership in Professional Societies
- Evangelical Missions Society
- Christian Community Development Association >>
- VIVA Network for Children-at-Risk >>
- Global issues facing children-at-risk
- Global conceptualizations of human development/childhood/family
- Equipping educational persons working with children-at-risk
- Child theology/spirituality (especially in areas of suffering and risk)
- Integration of sound social science with theology for maximum holistic ministry impact.
Publications and Papers
- Moreau, A.S., Campbell, E.H., & Greener, S.H. (2014). Effective Intercultural Communication: A Christian Perspective. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.
- Greener, S.H. & Oladipo, R., Chief Editors, (2013). Our Children, Our Being: Christian Reflections and Research on Child Development in an African Context. Nairobi, Kenya: Daystar University Press.
- Greener, S.H. (2014). Whose Childhood? Global Experiences of Children-at-Risk and Spiritual Formation. In L. Tolbert (Ed), Exploring and Engaging Spirituality for Today's Children. Wipf and Stock.
- Greener, S.H. (2013). Raising Samuel: Releasing Children to Discover God’s Purpose. In D. Brewster & J. Baxter-Brown (Eds), Children and Youth as Partners in Mission: A Compendium of Papers
presented at the 4/14 Window Missiology Conference, Seoul, Korea, February 2013. Colorado Springs, CO: Compassion International.
- Greener, S.H. (2003). The Abused and Traumatized Child in Context. Celebrating Children: Equipping Christians Working with Children at Risk Across the World. Paternoster Press.
- Greener, S.H. (2003). The Child in Context: Factors that Optimize Development. Celebrating Children: Equipping Christian Working with Children at Risk Across the World. Paternoster Press.
Peer-Reviewed Publications and Editing
- Greener, S.H. (submitted, August 2016). 2015 Lausanne Statement on Children-at-Risk: An Integral Mission Response to the Cape Town Commitment Mandate to Take Children Seriously in Mission. Mission Studies.
- Greener, S.H. (July 2016). Children-at-Risk and the Whole Gospel: Integral Gospel: Integral Mission 'To, For, and With' Vulnerable Agents of God. Transformation, 33(3), 159-170.
- Greener, S.H. & Prevette, B. (July, 2016). Introductory Editorial for Transformation Special Issue on Children at Risk. Transformation, 33(3), 157-8.
- S.H. Greener & Prevette, B., Editors (Summer, 2016). Special Issue on Children and Youth at Risk. Transformation.
- Boan, D., Gailey, R., Greener, S., & Aten, J (accepted). The Well-Prepared Development Worker.
- Rockhill, C., & Greener, S.H. (2000) "Development of the Trait Meta-Mood Scale for Elementary School Children." ERIC ED 430 688.
- Greener, S.H., & Crick, N.R. (1999). "Children's Normative Beliefs About Prosocial Behavior: What Does It Mean to Be Nice?" Social Development, 8(3), 349-363.
- Greener, S.H. (2000). "Peer assessment of children's prosocial behavior." Journal of Moral Education (29)1.
- Greener, S.H. (October, 2015). Book Review: The Missionary Family: Witness, Concerns, Care. EMQ (51,4), 459-460.
- Greener, S.H. (Fall,2011). Book Review: "Listening to Children on the spiritual Journey: Guidance for Those Who Teach and Nurture." Trinity Journal (Vol 32 NS, No.2), pp. 277-279.
- Greener, S.H. (Fall, 2008). Book Review: "Flawed Families of the Bible: How God’s Grace works Through Imperfect Relationships." Trinity Journal (Vol. 29 NS, No. 2), pp. 336-7.
- Greener, S.H. (2009). Involuntary Student Withdrawal Policy. Trinity International University.
- Greener, S.H. (2007). Grievance Procedure for Discriminatory and Harassment and Complaints. Trinity International University.
- Greener, S.H.(2006). Child Protection Policy. Trinity International University.
- Greener, S.H. (2004). Mission of Mercy Child Sponsorship Program Manual. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (2004). Child Protection Policy. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Greener, S.H. (2004). Sponsor Gift Policy. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Greener, S.H. (2004). Policy on Savings Accounts for Sponsored Children. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Greener, S.H., & Misao, D. (2003). A Multi-method Description and Analysis of Child Sponsorship Programmes in India. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (2001). Key Result Areas and Indicators for Child Programming. Compassion International, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (2001). What is Holistic Child Develoment? Compassion International.
- Greener, S.H. (2000). Early Childhood Program Manual. Compassion International, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (2000). Early Childhood Program Resource Book. Compassion International, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (1999-2002). Ministry Insights. Compassion International, Colorado Springs, Colorado. "Why Work Directly with Children? Child Survival Programs, Early Childhood Development, Quality Leadership in Early Childhood Development Programs, and Why a Prenatal Program?"
Selected Recent Presentations
- August, 2016 Paper Presented in Absentia to the International Association of Mission Studies, Lausanne Statement on Children-at-Risk: An Integral Mission Response to the Cape Town Commitment Mandate to Take Children Seriously in Mission, August 11-17, Seoul, South Korea.
- April, 2016 Panelist/Presenter, Should We Stop Using the Word 'Mission'? World Mission Institute: Association of Chicago Theological Schools, Lutheran School of Theology, Chicago, IL.
- Oct., 2015 Presenter, Training Workshop on Multicultural Communication for Urban Life Skills, Little Village, Chicago, IL.
- June, 2015 Panelist, Frontier Partnerships, Compassion Global Advocacy Forum: Making Hope Local, Cape Town, South Africa.
- June, 2015 Presenter, The Lausanne Declaration on Children-at-Risk: Communicating a Necessary Corrective to Ageism in Holistic Mission. American Society of Missiology Annual Conference, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL.
- June, 2015 Presenter, "Other Love" for Justice Conference, Chicago, IL.
- April, 2015 Presenter, The Lausanne declaration on Children-at-Risk: Communicating a Necessary Corrective to Ageism in Holistic Mission. Controversies in Mission, Evangelical Missiological Society, North Central Regional Conference, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, IL.
- 2014 Program Planning Team Member, Lausanne Consultation on Children-at-Risk, Quito, Ecuador, to be held in September 2014
- 2013 Consultant, to Senior Associate for Lausanne Movement Cape Town Commitment to Children-at-Risk, Menchit Wong
- April, 2013 Workshop Presenter. Whose Childhood? Global Experiences of Children-at-Risk and Spiritual Formation, Community Development and Mission Track. North Central Region Annual Evangelical Missiological Society Conference, Deerfield, IL
- April, 2013 Panelist. Community Development and Missions. North Central Region Annual Evangelical Missiological Society Conference, Deerfield, IL
- Feb., 2013 Plenary Speaker, 4-14 Missiology Conference, Seoul, SK, Children and Youth as Agents of Transformation and Mission
- Nov., 2012 Workshop Leader with Robert Gailey of Point Loma Nazarene University, The Well-Prepared Development Worker, ACCORD Network: Equipping and Mobilizing the Christian Community to End Poverty, Pre-Forum Lab, Developing Excellence Forum, Colorado Springs, CO
- Sept., 2012 Panelist, Evangelical Missiological Society, North American Missions Leaders Conference, Current Developments in Community Development, Chicago, IL
- June, 2012 Consultant/Trainer, Shyira Anglican Diocese of Rwanda, Equipping Early Childhood Teachers in Indigenous Church-Based Preschools: Effective Education and Support of Families Leading to Church Growth, Musanze, Rwanda
- 2011 Member, Henry Center on Theological Understanding at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Consultation on Pedagogical Practices that Enhance Teaching and Learning in Multi-national Learning Environments, Chicago, IL
- 2011 Panelist, American Society of Missiology Annual Meeting, Mission to Children-at-Risk Symposium, Chicago, IL
- 2010 Plenary Presentation, Lessons I Am Ever Learning: Excellence in Holistic Child and Youth Development. Association of Evangelical Relief and Development Organizations (AERDO), Summit on Excellence for Holistic Child & Youth Development, Colorado Springs, CO