960width 2020 grad school logo for mobile

FAQs for Prospective Students

FAQs for those wanting to know more about teacher licensure at Wheaton College

What type of college is Wheaton College?

Wheaton College is a Christian liberal arts college. While we primarily offer programming at the undergraduate level, the Department of Education does offer a  Master of Arts in Teaching at the graduate level. Students who enroll at Wheaton College affirm a belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and agree to adhere to certain lifestyle expectations. The integration of our Christian faith with learning is stressed in all of our classes. For further information, please read  Wheaton College's Mission Statement and the Education Department's  Conceptual Framework.

What are the distinctions of the teacher education program at Wheaton College?

Wheaton’s Department of Education is known as a department with faculty and staff who work diligently in assisting students in the licensure process. The faculty members collaborate with each other, with students in field placements and research and are involved with state board of education initiatives and issues. Students are expected to gain classroom experience throughout the program. With national accreditation (see later question) and active participation in state and national professional organizations, Wheaton graduates are well prepared for the demands of the 21st century classroom. Other specific unique strengths of the teacher education program at Wheaton are included in the  Distinctives section.

What licensure programs are offered at Wheaton College?

Wheaton offers three different professional educator licenses:

  • Professional Educator License for elementary education students for grades 1-6.
  • Professional Educator License for secondary education students from grades 6-12. Secondary education students must complete a program in an approved major field of specialization. Currently majors approved for secondary education licensure by the State of Illinois are: Biology, Chemistry, English/Language Arts, Environmental Science, History, Mathematics, Physics, and Social Science/History. 
  • Professional Educator License for special programs, Pre-kindergarten through grade 12 in Music Education and in a Modern Language (Spanish, French, German and Mandarin)

What about a teaching license for the middle school grades?

A middle grade endorsement can be added to any of the Professional Educator License (Elementary, Secondary, or Special PK-12). These are available in the areas of English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Science, and Spanish. They generally involve 24 hours of coursework, including content general education courses, a specific middle school methods course, and passing a state content test.

What if I transfer to Wheaton College and seek a teaching license? Will all my previous coursework and field work be accepted?

The  Registrar of Wheaton College determines what courses will be accepted and which Wheaton requirements they may meet. Transfer students seeking licensure must enroll in and successfully complete a Wheaton College education course and practicum prior to acceptance into the Wheaton Teacher Education Program. All required 300-400 level education courses must be completed through Wheaton College.  Teacher candidates transferring into Wheaton College should contact the Department of Education as soon as possible to discern if some previously completed foundational education classes may be accepted.

I already have a bachelor's degree and want to earn an Illinois teaching license. What do I have to do?

Refer to questions related to the Master of Arts in Teaching at Wheaton College. Contact Dr. IL-Hee Kim, the MAT coordinator, for more information. 

I have already gone to see my regional superintendent and was told that I only have a few courses I need to take to become licensed. Can I complete those classes at Wheaton College?

Probably not. Most likely you will need classes in methodology and student teaching. In order to be admitted to those classes at Wheaton College, you have to be enrolled in our full program and complete our full program of study.

I am working full time and would like to complete my licensure in the evenings. What classes do you offer at night or on weekends?

The Department of Education at Wheaton offers occasional evening classes, but no weekend classes. Graduates and undergraduates are typically full-time students.

Can I earn a master's degree and licensure at the same time?

We offer a Master of Arts in Teaching degree. Please read the FAQs for Prospective MAT students.

Does Wheaton College offer any alternative routes to licensure?

Not at this time. There are, however, a number of other area institutions that do offer alternative routes. We suggest that you contact the Illinois State Board of Education >> for information on what colleges or universities in your area offer these alternative routes.

I've heard a little about national accreditation. Is Wheaton College nationally accredited and what does this mean?

Wheaton College is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) >>. The approval by ISBE means that when an individual completes our approved program, he/she is eligible for licensure in Illinois provided that the state examinations have been passed. 

Do you offer independent study classes?

Like any college or university, we do have an independent study class listed. However, independent study classes are reserved for our majors who need additional courses. We do not conduct independent study classes for students who are not completing their degrees at Wheaton College.

Do you do placements or supervision for student teaching for student teachers from other schools? I live in the Chicago area but am going to a school that does not place its student teachers in the Chicago area.

We do not place or supervise student teachers from other colleges. The student teaching placement and supervision arena is both intense and competitive. We do not feel that it is appropriate for us to use College resources for students from other colleges and we do not place students who have not completed our preclinical experiences and our approved program.