Wheaton College Face Covering Policy
Effective August 17, 2021
The Wheaton College Face Covering Policy will follow the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) to minimize the spread of COVID-19 out of care for the campus community.
The current Wheaton College Face Covering Policy requires all employees, students, and visitors to wear a face covering when inside a Wheaton College building--this includes classrooms, chapel, meeting spaces, event venues, and when visiting someone as a guest in an apartment/house/room/floor, lobby area and common space in campus housing, etc.
Exceptions that allow for short-term removal of a face covering when indoors include the following:
- regardless of vaccination status, when working alone in an enclosed office, department space, classroom or meeting room (with the door open or closed);
- when vaccinated individuals are working alone at their workstation in an open workspace, including cubicles, while socially distanced from others. Please Note: unvaccinated individuals working in an open work space, including cubicles, must continue to wear face coverings in these settings;
- when a vaccinated individual (staff, faculty, student, guest speaker) is teaching a class, preaching, performing, or delivering a lecture when they can maintain at least six feet of distance from others. Please Note: unvaccinated individuals must continue to mask in these settings;
- when participating in NCAA sanctioned varsity practices and competitions (unvaccinated participants will be proactively tested twice per week);
- when participating in Wheaton College sponsored Club Sport practices and competitions (unvaccinated participants will be proactively tested twice per week);
- when participating in approved ROTC activities (unvaccinated participants will be proactively tested twice per week);
- when in one’s assigned housing unit with roommates/floormates, apartment-mates, and housemates;
- when sitting down and eating, with food in hand, with a prompt return to wearing a face covering after eating has concluded.
- face coverings need to cover both nose and mouth and fit securely to the face.
- face coverings should be washed daily. Each employee/student should have at least 3-5 options to interchange and extras kept in desk, car, backpack, etc. Various designs are available for purchase at the Wheaton College Campus Store.
- discard disposable face coverings after one-time use.
Face covering designs will reflect the tenets of the Community Covenant appropriately.
Acceptable face coverings do not include plexiglass face shields or Halloween/party masks.
We will revisit the College’s face covering policy if/when prompted by new guidelines from the CDC or IDPH.
Please direct any questions about this policy to email@example.com.