You will be given a brief written Music Fundamentals Assessment on your audition day. It determines whether or not you are ready to begin Music Theory I and Aural Skills I during your first semester at Wheaton.
The test is graded pass/fail, and both accuracy and time are factored into the results. Even if you have already taken music theory or aural skills classes, the test is mandatory.
To prepare for the test, memorize the following:
- Note names in both treble and bass clefs.
- The relationships between basic note values (i.e., whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, 8th notes, and 16th notes), as well as their equivalent rests.
- The meanings of dots, ties, and beams.
- The meanings of 2/4 , 3/4 , 4/4 (c), 6/8 , 9/8 , 12/8 time signatures.
- All 30 major and natural minor scales in treble and bass clefs.
- All 30 major and minor key signatures in treble and bass clefs.
If you're unfamiliar with any of the concepts listed above, desire clarification on them, and/or want to practice applying them, you’re encouraged to work through the relevant lessons on either www.musictheory.net or www.teoria.com and then test out your skills on http://www.emusictheory.com/practice.html.
A Scale and Key Signature Memorization Guide (PDF) is also available.