Posted September 1, 2015 by
Tags: Learning Management
Learning Management: Request for Proposal and Project Timeline
Updated: March 21, 2016
In an effort to better meet the pedagogical needs of faculty and students, the Technology and Information Resources (TIR) subcommittee, the Office of the Chief Information Officer, and Academic and Institutional Technology are working together to identify and select a new learning management system (LMS).
- Blackboard has been the College's LMS for many years.
- Faculty and students have indicated Blackboard does not meet their expectations and needs.
- AIT staff are unable to provide stable services due to technical issues within the Blackboard software. Other higher education institutions have reported similar difficulties.
- The marketplace has evolved since Blackboard's implementation. Tools and functionalities are now available that enable new teaching and assessment methods to support Christ at the Core as well as graduate and global education initiatives.
The LMS Selection Committee is committed to ensuring that faculty have abundant opportunity to evaluate LMS options and provide feedback. This committee will give regular updates on the selection process at the Faculty Business Meeting and make the final recommendation to the CIO.
LMS Selection Committee Members:
- Jeremy Botts, M.F.A. | Art
- Daniel Burden, Ph.D. | Chemistry
- Nancy Falciani-White, M.L.S., Ed.D. | Buswell Memorial Library
- John Holmes | Student Government EVP of Finance & Technology
- Terry Huttenlock, M.L.S., Ed.D. | Buswell Memorial Library
- Matthew Lundin, Ph.D. | History
- Tracy McKenzie, Ph.D. | History
- Sarah Miglio, Ph.D. | Provost's Office, Director of Core Curriculum Studies
- Scott Moreau, M.Div., D.Miss. | Intercultural Studies & Graduate School
- Tony Payne, D.M. | Conservatory of Music
- Sandra Richter, Ph.D. | Biblical and Theological Studies
- Wendy Woodward | Chief Information Officer
Initial RFP Respondents:
- Blackboard's latest environment
- Blackboard and Moodlerooms
- Desire 2 Learn's Brightspace
- Instructure's Canvas
- July 29 - August 21 | Review RFP responses from vendors
- September 23 - October 1 | Semifinalist Vendor Demonstrations
- October 20 - November 20 | LMS Test Environments for Evaluation
- December 1 | Recommendation Made
- December 31 | New LMS Selected
- Spring Semester B-Quad 2016 | Two Course per Division Pilot for Early Adopters
- Summer 2016 | Summer Courses Use New LMS
- July 15 2016 | Launch and Full Implementation
- Fall Semester 2016 | Fall Courses Use New LMS
- December 15 2016 | Blackboard Fully Retired
Once the LMS is selected, TIR, AIT, and Student Government will create a transition strategy that includes automated transfer of courses from Blackboard and in person and online training opportunities for faculty.
Our New Learning Management System
The Office of the Chief Information Officer, the Teaching and Information Resources Subcommittee, the Student Technology Advisory Committee, Purchasing, and Academic and Institutional Technology are proud to announce that Schoology has been selected as Wheaton College's new learning management system.
You can read about the transition to Schoology here.
If you have any questions, contact Academic and Institutional Technology or call 630.752.4357 (HELP).