Illinois Licensure Testing System
Any Professional Educator License obtained through a teacher education program in Illinois requires a minimum of three major assessments: The Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or an ACT/SAT equivalency waiver which must be completed prior to securing a student teaching placement, one or more content area tests required prior to student teaching, and the educator Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA), which is completed during student teaching.
Content-area tests can also be taken at remote locations throughout the semester. If uncertain which content-area test(s) are required prior to student teaching, please check with your Education Department advisor.
You may register on line at the Illinois Licensure Testing Service or by phone 800.239.8107. The costs of each test ranges from $60 for one subtest to $153 for all four elementary education tests. Most secondary or middle grade level content area tests are $122 each. The edTPA costs $300 for national scoring but is included as a course fee during student teaching.
When do I take these tests?
Note the sequence of these three tests for those seeking an Illinois Teaching License through Wheaton College.
- The TAP (Test of Academic Proficiency) or its ACT/SAT equivalent must be passed prior to securing a student teaching placement. Students are strongly urged to obtain the SAT or ACT waiver (see below) the semester enrolled in Educ 225. The TAP is offered exclusively on line but only at designated test sites. The closest one to Wheaton is at the College of DuPage in Carol Stream.
- The Subject-Matter Knowledge exam must be passed prior to student teaching.
- The edTPA must be completed during student teaching and passed for IL licensure.
Study guides >> are available and recommended in preparation for each test.
Students who have taken the ACT or SAT may qualify for a waiver in lieu of the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)
Prior to 9/1/15 - Composite score of 22 or higher and a minimum score of 19 on the combined English/Writing portion
9/1/15-9/9/16 - Composite score of 22 or higher and a minimum score of 16 on the Writing portion
9/10/16 and later - Composite score of 22 or higher and a minimum score of 6 on the Writing portion
Prior to 3/5/16 - Composite score of 1030 (critical reading + mathematics = 1-30 or higher) and a minimum score of 450 on writing
3/5/16 and later - Composite score of 1110 (evidence-based reading and writing + mathematics = 1110 or higher) and a minimum score of 26 on writing and language
To obtain this waiver for the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP), follow these steps.
- Download these instructions and follow the four steps. The first step involves creating an account with the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS). Click on Educator Access and then choose the left menu option to Sign Up Now. Your SSN will be required.
- Confirm your SAT or ACT score qualifies for the waiver.
- Step three requires you to contact ACT >> or SAT >> to request that your official score be sent to the Illinois State Board of Education, Licensure Division, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. Use ACT code or 3001 or SAT code of 6773 when ordering. Be prepared for a nominal fee that is usually charged for sending an official score.
- Ensure the score report has been accepted into your ELIS account.