The landscapes and geology of the Southwest!
Following the success of the 2015 student-alumni field trip to the Northern Great Basin, this May we plan to explore the landscapes and geology from the Franklin Mountains over El Paso, the Permian reef trend exposed in the Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Caverns, and the gypsum dunes of White Sands National Park.
- Sponsoring Department: Geology
- Program Leader(s): Dr. Stephen Moshier
- Term: Summer
- Travel Dates: May 8 - May 13, 2017
- Estimated Cost: $400.00 (airfare not included)
- Prerequisites: GEOL 201: Introductory Geology in the Field, or GEOL 211: Physical Geology, or GEOL 221: Physical Geology for Science Majors, or consent of Program Director.
- Eligibility: Open to Wheaton students and Geology alumni are also invited to participate. Students may enroll in Geology 332: Studies in Regional Geology and complete the one credit course.
- Highlights: Join alumnus and geology professors on a field trip to the Southwest.
GEOL 332: Studies in Regional Geology (1 hour) - Geologic study in the field of a selected region during an excursion in May following commencement. Learning emphasis is on structural and stratigraphic framework, interpretation of geologic history, and natural resources of the region. Assignments include background readings, participation in discussions in the field, and preparation of field notes.
The estimated program fee of $400.00 covers lodging, transportation during the program, and tailgate breakfast/lunch. Students will be responsible for the cost of airfare to and from El Paso, Texas, evening meals, and personal expenses for souvenirs, snacks, entertainment, etc.
In addition to the $400 program fee paid to Wheaton College, students should budget:
- $325 - 400 estimated roundtrip airfare depending on travel plans
- $100 - 150 for evening meals
- Additional money for personal expenses during the trip
If you have questions or would like to know more about the program, contact Dr. Stephen Moshier for further information.
How to Apply
To apply, visit GoGlobal, Wheaton College's registration system for off-campus study and international travel, research, and internships.