Emily H. McGowin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Theology
On Faculty since 2018
- Areas of Expertise
- Personal Website
- Select Publications
- Popular Writing
- Professional Affiliations
- Courses Taught
Dr. Emily McGowin teaches theology at Wheaton College. She is also a priest and Canon Theologian in the ACNA diocese of Churches for the Sake of Others (C4SO). Her research focuses on the embodied, lived theology of regular Christians. While traditional systematic theology tends to focus on texts and the ideas they contain, she’s interested in bringing history and texts into conversation with the lived experience of Christian communities. Her first book, Quivering Families (Fortress Press, 2018) uses ethnography to explore the theology of the family at work in a segment of American evangelicalism. She is currently working on a popular-level practical theology of the family.
University of Dayton
Ph.D., Theology, 2015
George W. Truett Theological Seminary
M.Div., Theology, 2007
B.A., Biblical Studies, 2003
- Systematic Theology
- Practical Theology
- Theology and Gender
“Gender Roles” in Practical Questions Every Student Asks, ed. Gary Burge and David Lauber (Grand Rapids: IVP, 2020), 33-48.
Quivering Families: The Quiverfull Movement and Evangelical Theology of the Family (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2018).
“Every Wife Has a Church in Her Home: The Family and the Church in the American Quiverfull Movement,” Ecclesial Practices, Vol. 4.1 (May 2017): 133-157.
“Praying for More: Mothers and Motherhood in the American Quiverfull Movement,” in Angels on Earth: Mothering, Religion, and Spirituality, edited by Vanessa Reimer (Bradford, ON: Demeter Press, 2016), 73-90.
“Eroticism and Pain in Mechthild of Magdeburg’s The Flowing Light,” New Blackfriars, Vol. 92, Issue 1041 (2011): 607-622.
- “Beware False Teachers with Good Doctrine and Bad Ethics" September 16, 2021
- “If Women Can Be Saved, Then Women Can Be Priests, Anglican Pastor, September 26, 2019
- “Taking Scripture and Women’s Ordination Seriously”, Anglican Pastor, November 18, 2019
- “A Gift of God”, Anglican Pastor, May 4, 2018
- “Christian Families and the Mission of God”, The Telos Collective, March 14, 2018
- Ethnography and Theology
- The Family and Ecclesiology
- Gender and Theology
- Lived Religion
- American Academy of Religion
- Conference on Faith and History
- Christian Thought
- Roman Catholic Theology
- God & Evil
- Historical Theology
- Gender and Theology and Systematic Theology