Paige Comstock Cunningham
The Center for Bioethics & Human Dignity
Paige Comstock Cunningham, J.D., is the executive director of The Center for Bioethics & Human Dignity. She is a Trustee of Taylor University. Cunningham is an affiliate professor at Trinity Law School and Trinity Graduate School. She was an adjunct instructor at Wheaton College for eight years, and is a past president and board chair of Americans United for Life.
She graduated from Taylor University (summa cum laude), earned her J.D. from Northwestern University Law School, an M.A. Bioethics (summa cum laude) from Trinity International University, and her PhD from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
Cunningham has published numerous articles, editorials and book chapters in the areas of law, bioethics and public policy, and has testified before Congress and state legislative committees, and has made numerous television appearances. She was profiled in a front page Washington Post story, and appears frequently on radio. Cunningham has been interviewed by BreakPoint This Week, Christianity Today, WORLD magazine, Moody radio’s Morning Ride, WYLL (Chicago), WLAM (Washington, D.C.), and American Conservative Radio. For five years, her Everyday Bioethics commentary aired on Moody radio. She is a regular guest on “Brian and Kathleen Mornings” (Moody radio Cleveland). Her “Biohazards” column appears quarterly in Salvo magazine.
Paige lectures on bioethics, public policy, reproductive ethics, and global women’s health. Recently she has presented at the Evangelicals for Life conference, World Congress of Families, Evangelicals for Life, Princeton University, Olivet Nazarene University, Taylor University, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and Fuller Theological Seminary. She gave the annual Witherspoon Lecture of Family Research Council in 2012. Other audiences include Alcatel Lucent employees, medical students, the American Chinese Fellowship in Houston, doctors in New Delhi, India, C-level business executives, and church adult classes and women’s groups.
She is married to Jay Cunningham. They have three adult children and five grandchildren.
Recent Articles by Paige Comstock Cunningham, JD, PhD (Cand.):
- “Anencephalic Babies Are Now 'Wanted' - For Their Organs” in Salvo (Spring 2016)
- “Womb Donors” in Salvo (Spring 2016)
- “The Great Cloning Debate” in Salvo (Winter 2015)
- “Fixing Genes” in Salvo (Fall 2015)
- “What’s Wrong with Designer Genes,” on DesiringGod.org co-authored with Michael Sleasman (July 2015)
- “Head Transplants: Semantic Inversion and Moral Aversion” in Salvo (Summer 2015)
- “Scoreboard Bioethics” in Salvo (Spring 2015)
- "'Womb Transplant Babies': A Preliminary Exploration of Recent Biomedical Advances" in Dignitas (Winter 2014)
- “BioSurveillance: Your DNA, Art & Privacy” in Salvo (Fall 2014)
- “Learning from Failure: Credible Science Research” in Salvo (Summer 2014)
- “Uncharted: Medical Care Dilemmas We Face” in Salvo (Spring 2014)
- “Bioethics 2.0” in The Christian Lawyer (Fall 2013)
- “Sanctity of Life” in NAE Insight (Winter 2012/13)
- “Making Babies, Not Love: On the Advent of Manufacturing Babies Outside of the Marital Union” in Salvo (Fall 2012)
- “Baby-Making: The Fractured Fulfillment of Huxley’s Brave New World” in Dignitas (Part I, Spring 2011; Part II Summer 2011).
- Co-author, Paige C. Cunningham and Michael Shafer, “Medical Exploitation and Black Market Organs: Profiteering and Disparities in Global Medicine” in Dignitas (Spring/Summer 2010).
- “Ligers, Tigons, and Splice: Human-Animal Hybrids” in Dignitas (Spring/Summer 2010)
- “Black Market Organs” in Trinity Magazine (Spring 2010)
- Filed a letter with Michael Sleasman on behalf of CBHD with the Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues emphasizing the need to welcome religious values and perspectives in the public square (July 2015)
Books and Chapters
- “Wisdom from Law,” in Why the Church Needs Bioethics: A Guide to Wise Engagement with Life's Challenges (ed. John F. Kilner, Zondervan, 2011).
- Co-author, Paige Comstock Cunningham and Michael Sleasman "Exploitation in the Global Medical Enterprise: Bioethics and Social Injustice" in Social Injustice: What Evangelicals Need to Know About the World (ed. William Moulder and Michael Cooper; Timothy Center Press, 2011).
- “Learning from Our Mistakes: The Pro-life Cause and the New Bioethics,” in Human Dignity in the Biotech Century (eds. Charles W. Colson and Nigel M. de S. Cameron, InterVarsity Press, 2004).
- “The Supreme Court and the Creation of the Two-Dimensional Woman,” in The Cost of “Choice”: Women Evaluate the Impact of Abortion (ed. Erika Bachiochi, Encounter Books, 2004)
- Co-editor, John F. Kilner, Paige C. Cunningham, and W. David Hagers, eds. The Reproduction Revolution: A Christian Appraisal of Sexuality, Reproductive Technologies, and the Family (Eerdmans, 2000).
- Co-author, Gary P. Stewart, William R. Cutrer, Timothy J. Demy, Dónal P. O’Mathúna, Paige C. Cunningham, John F. Kilner, Linda K. Bevington, Basic Questions on Alternative Medicine: What Is Good and What Is Not? (Kregel, 1998)
- Co-author, Gary P. Stewart, William R. Cutrer, Timothy J. Demy, Dónal P. O’Mathúna, Paige C. Cunningham, John F. Kilner, Linda K. Bevington, Basic Basic Questions on End of Life Decisions: How Do We Know What's Right? (Kregel, 1998)
- Co-author, Gary P. Stewart, William R. Cutrer, Timothy J. Demy, Dónal P. O’Mathúna, Paige C. Cunningham, John F. Kilner, Linda K. Bevington, Basic Questions on Sexuality and Reproductive Technology: When Is It Right to Intervene? (Kregel, 1998)
- Co-author, Gary P. Stewart, William R. Cutrer, Timothy J. Demy, Dónal P. O’Mathúna, Paige C. Cunningham, John F. Kilner, Linda K. Bevington, Basic Questions on Suicide and Euthanasia: Are They Ever Right? (Kregel, 1998)
- Co-author, Paige Comstock Cunningham and Clarke D. Forsythe, "Is Abortion the "First Right" for Women? Some Consequences of Legal Abortion," in Abortion, Medicine, and the Law (4th ed.) (eds. J. Butler and D. Walbert, Facts on File, 1992).