Wade Center Offering Limited Appointments for Visitors
June 16, 2021
Due to changing COVID-19 guidelines set forth by Wheaton College, the Wade Center is able to offer limited appointments for visits to our museum or to research in the Kilby Reading Room.
The opportunity to schedule an appointment is available to asymptomatic visitors who currently reside in the United States and:
- Are fully vaccinated (defined as ≥ 2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a two-dose COVID- 19 vaccine series, or ≥ 2 weeks following receipt of 1 dose of a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine)
- Follow the guidelines outlined by the Chicago Emergency Travel Order, which is updated each week and may require quarantining or a negative COVID-19 test before visiting the Wade Center.
The Wade Center staff is happy to provide further clarification about these policies if needed. Those who meet the qualifications above must read our Wade Center COVID-19 Procedures, which include how to schedule an appointment.
Note to International Visitors and Researchers: We sincerely apologize that you are not yet allowed to visit the Wade Center; we look forward to welcoming you back once it is safe and permissible to do so. In the meantime, you may contact the Wade at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions; review our Collection Listings for access to our catalog and material descriptions; or email the Wade Center if interested in hiring college-approved scholars to perform research for you.
Members of the general public are welcome to use the materials held at the Wade Center, and there is no fee to do so. Please note that children junior high school age or younger must be accompanied by an adult.
We encourage you to review the information on hours and closings. In order to facilitate your research, we offer the following suggestions for planning your visit:
- Inform the Wade Center in advance of the dates you intend to use the Reading Room. We will confirm that the timing does not conflict with other events or closures.
- We encourage you to provide the archival staff with specifics about the topics or materials you wish to investigate for your research. Note that some materials require advanced notice for retrieval. Whenever possible, we will have materials ready for use when you arrive.
- Information on directions and parking, accommodations, and meals is available on the Visitor Information page.
- Laptops, iPads, tablets, etc. are welcome in the Reading Room. The research tables are outfitted with power outlets, and Wi-Fi is available. Off-Campus visitors using the Reading Room have the following options for internet connectivity:
- Use the campus "WC-Guest" Wi-Fi network to register your device on your browser when you arrive at the Wade Center. Free Wi-Fi is available for guests up to 7 days.
- For brief internet browsing and library catalog access, the Wade Center has a public access terminal in the Reading Room.
- Buswell Library, the main Wheaton College campus library, may also be used for visitor web access.
- Plan to bring pencils and a photo ID with you, and be sure to read the Reading Room Guidelines before you come.
- If you wish to fill out a Reading Room Application before you come, feel free to print off a copy and have it ready when you arrive, or submit one via the online form. Application forms are also available in the Reading Room.
- Other resources and policies you may wish to consult regarding the usage of Wade Center materials:
Please let us know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance planning your research visit.
Want to learn more about conducting archival research? Read the guide Using Archives: A Guide to Effective Research written by Laura Schmidt, Wade Center archivist.