2015 marked the 50th Anniversary of the Marion E. Wade Center, and we had much to celebrate! The collection was begun in 1965 under the leadership of our founder Dr. Clyde S. Kilby, and today is one of the foremost centers for research, education, and appreciation for our seven authors. Below are some highlights of some of the memories related to our anniversary year.
50th Anniversary Commemoration
An event celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Marion E. Wade Center took place on Thursday, October 29, 2015. Featured speakers included the Wade's former director, Dr. Lyle W. Dorsett, poet Luci Shaw, and Dr. Leland Ryken. The dedication of the Bakke Auditorium was also part of this special evening.
Program participants (l to r): Walter Hansen, Philip G. Ryken, Lisa Welchert, Lyle W. Dorsett, Marjorie Lamp Mead, Jerry Root, Luci Shaw, Jeannette Bakke, Carolyn Hart, Stan Bakke, William Phemister.
Anniversary Highlighted Resources
- 50th Anniversary Event Program
- "The Space Within" poem by Luci Shaw, written for the Wade Center's 50th Anniversary
- Videos on the Wade's YouTube channel of the anniversary event and a commemorative video
- The Wade's blog post highlighting our anniversary
- "Bigger on the Inside" by Carol Zaleski on The Christian Century blog, reflecting on her experiences with the Wade
- Christian History issue "Seven Literary Sages" highlights the seven authors of the Wade Center and their ongoing legacy and importance today
Tributes to the Wade Center
Leading up to the anniversary event, the Wade Center sent out a request for shared memories and reflections of our past 50 years and the influence of our authors. The responses received were numerous, and came from around the world. We have, with the gracious consent of the contributors, posted selections from these tributes to serve as testament to the lives touched already, and as an encouragement as we anticipate the future stories yet untold.